New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Port Brewing Hop 15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Port Brewing Hop 15

This thread mentioned Hop 15 a few times. I've had it once. I haven't found much information on Google about anyone attempting a clone, and I'd like to give it a shot. Obviously not anytime soon, as 15 different varieties of hops is going to cost me about $80-90 by itself. In any case I might just scale it back and make a Hop 10.

As far as I know one of the few beers on this forum that even comes close is Ohiobrewtus's Hopacles.

What I'd like to do is open up a running discussion for a recipe as well as hop selection, and especially how and when to add the hops to the boil. Maybe somebody else will be inspired to give this a shot as well. Obviously this is going to call for more research first, which means I need to see if I can find Hop 15 at a specialty store and sample a few bottles. I also think I need to do a bit more brewing and work on head appearance and retention, because an IIPA like this should have a thick, creamy white head.

The grain bill should be pretty straight forward based on the information from Port's site. Two row and a light crystal (I'm thinking 20L max). The hop addition is listed as 15 hops every 15 minutes. (Not sure if they add all 15 hops at each addtion).

Alright guys and gals, have at it. What would you do to make this clone and how would you plan out the hop additions? What changes would you make to the grain bill, if any? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It's been a bit since I've had it but its so sticky with hops that its tough to pick out anything specific. If I can get it over here at the grocery store, you shouldn't have a problem finding it over there. I think the simple grain bill is the way to go, maybe throw in 1-2% wheat.

I'll have to pick up another bottle for "research". I'd guess that not all 15 hops go in every addition. Since their probably using some high aa hops for bittering, I bet those only go in at the beginning.

If it was me (and I might try something like this since I've got a bunch of hops), I probably wouldn't use more than 3-4 varieties at any addition and probably have at least 2 rounds of dry hopping with 2-3 varieties at each round.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts

I will brew up 5 gallons of it... even if it is $90... what the hell. My brew rig is worth $1500 or more... It will be a specialty beer, maybe I will serve it in special glasses

Old 12-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
I will brew up 5 gallons of it... even if it is $90... what the hell. My brew rig is worth $1500 or more... It will be a specialty beer, maybe I will serve it in special glasses
Alrighty then. Look forward to your input. The earliest I will be brewing this beast is MAR-APRIL after taxes. That way I can get my BC, the hops I need, and maybe I'll get a 20G stockpot too so I can make 10G.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's been a while since I've had one but I recall a good dose of simcoe in the flavor. I think I recall seeing a bottle last time I was at my local bottle shop...I should do some research!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
McKBrew

Recipes 

Default 15 Hops

Here is a listing of all hops available at my LHBS. I have selected 15 that I think would be most likely to be in this brew. I stuck with mainly US hops, chose Goldings because I know that he carries Yakima Goldings.

1. Amarillo(Whole Hop)

2. Cascade(Whole Hop)

3, Centenial(Whole Hop)

4. Chinook(Whole Hop)

5. Columbus(Whole Hop)

6. Crystal(Whole Hop)

7. Fuggle(Import Pellet Hop)

8. Fuggles(Whole Hop)

9. Goldings(Whole Hop)

10. Hallertauer(Whole Hop)

11. Hersbrucker(Import Pellet Hop)

12. Kent Golding(Import Pellet Hop)

13. Magnum(Whole Hop)

14. Mt Hood(Whole Hops)

15. Northern Brewer(Whole Hop)

16. Nugget(Whole Hop)

17. Perle(Whole Hop)

18. Saaz(Imported Whole Hop)

19. Saaz/Sterling(Whole Hop)

20. Simcoe(Whole Hop)

21. Spalt(Import Pellet Hop)

22. Styr. Goldings(Whole Hop)

23. Tettnanger(Whole Hop)

24. Warrior(Whole Hop)

25. Willamette(Whole Hop)

Old 12-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts

I will work on this... I will be brewing again in Feb... once I get my electric BK and control panel thingy built. I will use this beer to celebrate the birth of our baby in July. Thanks for the idea!!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'll probably brew this end of jan or feb. I'll start working on a recipe when I'm traveling over the holiday. I think I'll do a 90 minute boil and FWH it

Of the hops in my inventory these are what I definitely will use:
Amarillo
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Cluster
Columbus
Magnum
Simcoe
Summit
Warrior
Willamette

If I want to really try to get close to 15 hops in I'll have to use some others I don't think fit well but with that much in there you probably only get slight notes from each

So I'd probably also use:
Fuggles
Glacier
Liberty
Northern Brewer

That would make 15 hops total. I've got some other hops I could use but I'm not sure they would be appropriate, plus I want to save them for specific beers (like saaz, hallertauer, tettnanger)

Old 12-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

They also use a whirlpool addition of Centennial and Amarillo (unknown quantity) and dry hop with Centennial and simcoe (3 pounds per barrel total)...that is on top of the 15oz every 15 min for 3.5 hours for a 7 barrel batch.

This info is straight from the brewers fingers

That's a s-load of hops.

Next: Pre-Prohibition Pilsner
Fermenting: Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: 1830's Mild, Rye Session IPA, Lambic, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Wee-Heavy, Tripel

Old 12-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
McKBrew

Recipes 

I'm thinking that once I do get this done, I might even construct a randall to pour everything through.

Also considering mash hopping on this one as well.

Quick Reply