Poll: Rate Pale Ale Malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What brand of Pale Ale malt do you prefer?

• Briess

• Rahr

• CMC (Canada Malting)

• Gambrinus

• Baird

• Great Western

Results are only viewable after voting.

reddskinnfan

Reaction score
So, I never see this info anywhere and I think it high time to put together a poll to see what everyone thinks.

So, here it is, which brand of Pale Ale malt do you prefer?

Briess
Rahr
CMC (Canada Malting)
Gambrinus
Baird
Great Western

I picked Gambrinus because I really do prefer it, but I tend to use Great Western most of the time because that is what I can get locally.

Honestly your poll asks to choose between apples and oranges. That's not a fair fight. You have five domestic malts and one British. For flavor, body and aroma is not even close. It's Baird's by a country mile.

Ed,

Are you saying that you prefer UK Pale over US Pale? Or do you use Maris Otter for the most part?

I don't care for domestic pale. To me it's bland and I also don't brew any styles where it's the preferred malt. My basic malts are British pale (Pearl and MO), German pale, pils and Munich.

I voted GW because it is the easiest & cheapest for me to buy. Mostly hoppy beers and it works for me. Next brew will be using a German Pilsen so it will be a change for me. In the past I have brewed an I2PA with British Pale and with GW Pale and the end product was very similar.

A few things. First who the hell picked Briess? No one uses Briess by choice. I **** higher quality malt and I wouldn't charge you outrageous prices for the privilege.

Next, you are missing a lot of different options on that poll. I use Canada Malting for Domestic 2-row, Best German Pils Vienna and Munich, Bairds Marris Otter, Franco-Belg Belgian Pale and pils. There are a lot more malsters out there to, and a lot of them I don't even have access to.

I meant to keep it to domestic malts, and accidentally added Baird's. Wasn't intentional, however, I can't seem to find a way to remove it. :drunk:

Back