Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Polaris Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
vwdan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Polaris Hops

So I got my hands on about 3.5 oz (100 grams) of what's called Polaris hops through a small local brewery who got it from United Bottles. Here's a quick little run down on them (from United):

"New high alpha breeding line with strong, pleasant, fruity, refreshing, Gletschereisbonbon (glacier-like) notes.

The guy I emailed from United called them a German version of Cascade on steroids. That's probably because this baby clocks in at 21.5% AA Has anyone else has ever brewed anything with these? I was thinking about making an a super simple 2-Row only IPA with it this weekend but only using .5oz for bittering (along with some Citra at 20, 15 & 5 min) and then dry hopping with about an ounce for a 5 gal batch. Anyone have and suggestions or tips on using this beast?

-Dan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 02:35 AM   #2
SPLASTiK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

There's a description here from Hop Steiner: http://www.hopsteiner.de/pdf/neuigkeiten-berichte/hopsteiner-newsletter/2012-05_ts_newhopvarietiesgrowningermany.pdf

I haven't really heard about anyone brewing with them yet though... with that oil content I'd be curious what it's like by itself and not mixed with any other hops.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:35 AM   #3
Beezer94
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Don't have anything to add other than holy crap at the 4.1-4.4ml oils per 100g! That's the most I have seen and 2-5 times more than most varieties. So it's potentially potent. Please be sure to let us know how it goes!

Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

I'm willing to bed Gletschereisbonbon should actually be Gletscher Eis bonbon (Gletscher eis, or 'glacier ice' brand candy). Gletscher Eis is a mint candy that's sort of fruity and herbal. Interesting way to describe a hop.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 09-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
vwdan
Recipes 

Well it's in primary right now. I decided to change my hop schedule to be just Polaris. I did .50 at 60 min, .25 at 20 and 5 min. I actually got my wort from Bells, they are doing a homebrew competition were they give you approx 5 gal of 2 row heated up just enough to pasteurize it, so that kinda worked out perfect. I used some s-04 that was about a year "expired" and it is going freaking nuts right now. It just about blew my air lock off this morning (I'm getting a blow off tube tonight). I can't wait for this one to be finished so I can try it!

Old 09-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Very interesting. I have been looking at some super high alpha hops for those huge imperial IPAs. I hate using 3 or 4 ounces just for a bittering charge.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just noticed this variety for sale at a shop I frequent, so I'm quite interested in the outcome of your test batch.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
vwdan
Recipes 

Well I hope that it turns out ok. I came home and found the top and the inside cup of my air lock completely off for god knows how long... So I'm crossing my fingers that nothing too bad got in there. I guess it's time to get away from my 5 gal carboys and make my pony keg fermenter!

Old 09-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
TRG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdan View Post
Well I hope that it turns out ok. I came home and found the top and the inside cup of my air lock completely off for god knows how long... So I'm crossing my fingers that nothing too bad got in there. I guess it's time to get away from my 5 gal carboys and make my pony keg fermenter!
With flow like that it seems unlikely!

Any word on how its going? taste it yet?

Old 09-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
vwdan
Recipes 

So far so good. It's in secondary right now and tastes pretty good. I dry hopped with an ounce and I'm going to do a little ghetto cold crash here in a couple days (some ice in a tub inside my non-working fridge) and get it in some bottles. I can't wait to see how this one turns out!

Quick Reply