Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pods from the Honey Locust

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
LarryRay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pods from the Honey Locust

Greetings,

My brother Wayne was telling me about how they made beer from the sweet, sticky substance that comes from the pods of the Honey Locust tree. If I remember correctly, he said this was popular in the 1700's. He mentioned entire plantations of Honey Locust trees being grown for this purpose.
Is anybody familiar with this type of beer? If so, how could I go about getting more information from websites, books, etc.? It seems like something that would have a very unique flavor!

Larry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 329 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Sounds like a job for some serious google-fu and historical research. I was interested enough to look some up:

http://dirtynapkins.wordpress.com/20...ager/#comments

In leaner, greener times the generous honey locust supplemented our forefather’s diet in several ways. Scrape up a bit of the pulp and taste it – it’s everything your nose just promised you and more. The hard ripe seeds can be roasted and ground for a coffee substitute, though the flavor reminds me more of bitter chocolate. Come spring and early summer, the new pods and the sweet green seeds within can be sautéed or eaten raw as a vegetable. Most importantly, I am told – though I have not yet been brave enough to try it – that the following recipe yields a palatable beer. With any luck, I’ll be drunkenly typing the results of my experiments to you in the weeks to come.

Honey Locust Beer Recipe

Ingredients:

Long black honey locust pods (number depends on how big of a crock or keg is being used).
Ripened persimmons or sliced apples (number same as above)
2 cups of molasses
Water

Break the locust pods into pieces. Place a layer in a keg or crock. Add the persimmons or apples. Cover with boiling water. Add two cups of molasses. Let stand for three for four days before using.

Check out what Hubie posted at the bottom of this page:

http://www.homebrewchatter.com/board...t=11057&page=1

Reading through this though, it appears that the honeylocust is being used as a fermentable source and not much more with the flavor coming from the fruit and molasses. Natural fermentation though, so it might get interesting.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

All I know is the deer LOVE them here. When I am hunting I see them eating and even carrying the pods around in their mouths like their equivalent of a fast food drive through. Makes me believe there has to be some nice sugars in those pods.

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Quick Reply