Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pliny the Younger Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #221
jglazer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Ok that makes me feel a little better. I'd be surprised if it was an infection because my sanitation standards are very high, but this was the first time I used the keg, also the first time I dry hopped in the keg with hop bags, and the first time brewing this recipe so there are some unknown variables there. The beer also has 10.6% abv and tasted good before going into the keg so thats why I thought it would be the heat that started to cause the buttery taste.

What I will probably end up doing is throwing the last dry hop addition in with the 3rd dry hop addition (the third has only been in for 1 day) and throw it in the fridge and let it sit for a week or two to. Then carb (maybe even carb only a week or so after I put it in the fridge) and let it sit for another week then hopefully it will start to mellow out. Thanks for the quick responses!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #222
ianmatth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 8

According to someone over in the 1-Gallon thread, beersmith shows that 3 pounds of grain will displace a little over a quart of water, so it looks like a 9 quart cooler will easily cut the mustard for a 1 gallon batch. And http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash/ says I need a strike temperature of 155 to mash 3 pounds of grain in 1.2 gallons of water at 145. If I receive my morebeer.com order by Sunday, I think I'm going to do this. As far as the initial 90 minute hop infusion, I'm going to use Apollo (18%). I might try small batches with both CTZ and Bravo as well to see if I notice a difference. I'm also substituting CTZ for Chinook in scottland's recipe. In fact, I'm not sure why scottland used Chinook as he didn't have good things to say about Chinook in his previous blog, he didn't use Chinook in his first PTY clone, and I haven't seen anything that suggests RRB uses it in PTY.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #223
jglazer
Recipes 

Just a follow up from my previous post about temps being too warm and it tasting buttery (possibly diacetyl), I threw it in the fridge with both dry hop #3 (which was already in) and dry hop #4. After 2 days it taste awesome again, so not sure what happened in the keg but all the off flavors are gone. I'll prolly leave it in the fridge about 2 weeks before tapping.

Cheers

Old 04-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #224
mthhurley
Recipes 

So I brewed this on 4/5, hit 1.085 so a bit light. Mashed initially at 145, raised it up but in reality probably did not cross 151 during that last 10-15 minutes.
90 seconds of 02 and pitched a 2L starter of 001 at high krausen.
Started fermentation at basement temps, so 63-65'ish after a few days, I slowly started raising it up. I'm currently at 70. So I'm 8 days in and only sitting at 1.047. fermentation is still active, but definitely not crazy active.

I'm very worried this is not going to bottom out anywhere near 00 levels.

Any advice?

Old 04-16-2013, 04:45 AM   #225
ianmatth
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I did a 1.5 gallon PTY clone on Saturday night. I did a partial mash. I only got 48% efficiency from my grain. I didn't lose as much water to boil off as I thought I would and my newly bought packet of WLP090 only had 40 billion cells based on the exp date, so I decided to use an 11.5g packet of S-04. That brought the gravity down even further so I added more sugar to get it up to 1.088. Here are the details: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/plin...3/#post5112284

While the hops may be like PTY, it has way more sugar and an English yeast, so I'm calling it Pliny the Angry Young Man. It is currently fermenting at 66* and is down to 1.033 after less than 3 days.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #226
jaw94087
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Today, I transferred my PTY to a keg for dry hopping. This batch has been fermenting for ten days. The last 4-5 days of fermentation included the first dry hopping addition. The final gravity was 1.007 and it tastes awesome. This gravity is a drop from the previous batch that finished at 1.010. The changes from the earlier batch that I believe made the difference in the final gravity are;

· Added extra dose of oxygen 15 hours into fermentation
· Increased starter from 2 liters to 2.5 liters
· Awaken starter on the morning of brewing by adding 500-700 ml of fresh wort into starter
· Lowered mash to 147 and extended mash time to 100 minutes (90 minutes should be adequate)
· Increased dextrose to 1.5 lbs (1.33 previously) and decreased 2-row an appropriate amount
· 1/2 of dextrose added to boil and 1/2 added as sterol syrup (boiled) near end of fermentation (five days)

Jim
Old 04-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #227
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Nice work Jim! That should be amazing when it's done.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #228
jglazer
Recipes 

Just poured the first glass out of my keg of this pliny clone (I used the partial mash recipe in this post)....WOW, how am I not supposed to become an alcoholic with this in my fridge??? Absolutely amazing, bursting with dankness and fruitiness and everything in between.

With using extract my OG was 1.0907 and FG was 1.016 (9.84% abv). Not sure I could have gotten a lower FG with extract but to be honest this taste damn near close and still absolutely amazing.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #229
jaw94087
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One technique that I like to report on with PTY is a change in the dry hop schedule. Rather than four discreet additions, I added the first addition in the carboy near the end of fermentation for 5 days. After cold crashing (50 degrees) for 24 hours, I transferred to keg and added the remaining 3 additions as a single addition using a dry hopper for 5 days at room temperature. Additionally, I evacuated the keg with CO2, and twice a day for the 5 days, I would gentle inverted the keg to re-suspend the hops. This approach cut out 8-9 days to drinking your first Pliny and reduced the dry hop additions. If there is a difference in taste with this approach, I can't detect it.

Jim

Old 05-18-2013, 01:14 AM   #230
dahray02
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wow...so I finally had my first cup of this, such a great beer. Thanks everyone that helped. The only thing that was wrong with it was the bits of hops that are floating in the beer, so maybe next time i'll try the gelatin to clear it more

Quick Reply