Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pliny without Simcoe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 04:04 AM   #1
kwhyte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pliny without Simcoe?

I've suddenly come upon some free time to brew this weekend, and a Pliny the Elder clone has been high on my list. I have all the ingredients except that my LHBS is out of Simcoe. I know I can't make a true clone without them, but I'm happy with something different "in the Pliny style" if it'll be tasty - I've got lots of Centennial, Columbus, Cascade and Amarillo around - anyone care to suggest a hop schedule using those with the Pliny malt bill? I'm leaning towards just bumping up the Cent. and Columbus to make up for the missing Simcoe since I'm afraid of how intensely citrus-y Cascade and Amarillo would be in those quantities, but if anyone has experience to the contrary (or in support for that matter) I'd love to hear it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 04:39 AM   #2
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If you could find Chinook, you could probably substitute it for the Simcoe. It won't be as piney, but will have some pine.

If I lived near a beach, I'd drink beer and look at the beach every day.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:50 AM   #3
kwhyte
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
If you could find Chinook, you could probably substitute it for the Simcoe. It won't be as piney, but will have some pine.
I should have thought of that at the store. Unfortunately I won't have time to get back there before my planned brew session, and if I have to wait I'll just order some Simcoe. Maybe that's what I should do, simcoe is not easy to substitute for, but with two young kids I don't get to brew enough so I hate to pass up an opportunity. If the hops I listed won't do, I do have some less likely options around as well - magnum, willamette, EKG, Saaz, Hallertauer, and Tettnang. Nothing in there looks piney to me, but maybe some combo here would still produce a great beer?

Old 04-30-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I think Of those choices, williamatte and tettnang are the least likely to get lost in the flavors of the other hops. Well, Magnum wouldn't either, but that's more citrus.

If I lived near a beach, I'd drink beer and look at the beach every day.

Quick Reply