Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pliny type IIPA without Simcoe or Amarillo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
kwhyte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pliny type IIPA without Simcoe or Amarillo

I'm supposed to be brewing a very hop forward double IPA for a New Year's party. I was waiting for the 2012 hop crop to show up as pellets, but haven't been able to get any simcoe or amarillo at a reasonable ( or even somewhat unreasonable ) price. I had planned on a Pliny clone, but I'm happy with anything of a similar style even if it's not a clone. I'm worried about what hops to use. To me, too much cascade ( or any floral hop ) ends up tasting like perfume, and too much funk just weird. Can I make a really good beer with just the Columbus/Chinook/Cascade that I do have access to, or should I change plans? I could go with a more "balanced" beer, using MO and/or munich with a less aggressive hop schedule, but I'd rather do something more hop forward if it can be done well with the hops I have. Any advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply