Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pliny the Elder questions and clone!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
Copperpots_Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Pliny the Elder questions and clone!

I took the Pliny the Elder clone recipe off of Brew365. Has anyone tried that recipe? I’ve yet to try the original since it’s not distributed in my area, so I figured I’d try the clone until I got my hands on the real stuff. I just wanted to check the validity of the clone.
Also, after I put the recipe into iBrewMaster and Beersmith, it comes out as 200+ IBU, but I was listening to a Jamil Show Podcast and they were talking about it being 68IBU, IIRC. Is that a perceived bitterness vs. actual math, or does the professional equipment handle bitterness different than a homebrew system?
Just trying to answer some questions bouncing around in my head!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Here's the recipe I use to clone it: http://farmhousebrewingsupply.fmtemp...ne%20PDF-1.pdf. This is one of the recipes that Vinne of Russian River has put out there for his beer.

As JZ has said, there's no bitterness equation that can truly calculate the exact IBU of a beer. Most are estimates. So stick with one equation and learn how that works for you. The actual measured IBU of this beer is around 100 IBU. I haven't brewed the Brew365 recipe, but I have brewed the one I linked above and it's amazing. Easily one of the best I've made, and I have another set of hops in the freezer waiting for a re-brew.

Good luck!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze

Old 02-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

What are CTZ hops? Ive never heard of such a hop. Is that a blend?

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody_Copperpot View Post
What are CTZ hops? Ive never heard of such a hop. Is that a blend?
Columbus, Tomahawk, Zeus combo

Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Ah never mind! Around here we have them as Columbus. I've heard of them as Tomahawk too, but never Zues.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 141

CTZ is actually Columbus, Tomahawk, OR Zeus. The three big hop growers have different names for basically the exact same hop. CTZ is the generic term for any of these.

Read about it here: http://www.kswbeer.com/2011/07/colum...tz-hop-by.html

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze

Old 04-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
psychorydas
Recipes 

I actually am cloning this right now. It's been fermenting for a week now and it smells AMAZING already!! I will keep everyone informed on the process.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS