The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pliny the Elder LME recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2010, 04:12 AM   #1
IPAAAA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pliny the Elder LME recipe

So I saw this...

http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/1Pliny...lone%20PDF.pdf

But I wanted to do a extract version of it since this is my second time brewing. I came up with this but not sure if it is correct. What does everyone think?

6.15 lbs DME or 8 lbs LME
1 lb 2-row malt
.28 lbs crystal 45
.86 lbs Carapils
1 lb corn sugar
19.5 AAU Chinook (mash) (calculate how much you need based of AAU%)
WLP001 yeast

Steep all grains, corn sugar & calculated amount of chinook hops in 1 gal of 151F water for 45 minutes.

(calculate how much you need based of AAU%) oz 42.9 AAU Warrior (90 min)
(calculate how much you need based of AAU%) oz 6.1 AAU Chinook (90 min)
(calculate how much you need based of AAU%) oz 12 AAU Simcoe (45 min)
(calculate how much you need based of AAU%) oz 14.3 AAU Columbus (30 min)
(calculate how much you need based of AAU%) oz 20.5 AAU Centennial (0 min)
(calculate how much you need based of AAU%) oz 12 AAU Simcoe (0 min)

Ferment at 68F. Dry hop 2 weeks.

3.25 oz Columbus (Dry Hop 12 to 14 Days Total)
1.75 oz Centennial (Dry Hop 12 to 14 Days Total)
1.75 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop 12 to 14 Days Total)

.25 oz Columbus (Dry Hop 5 days to go in dry hop)
.75 oz Centennial (Dry Hop 5 days to go in dry hop)
.75 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop 5 days to go in dry hop)

I am unsure about a few things. If the LME amount would be enough and what it means by...19.5 AAU Chinook (mash). Do I just throw the hop pellets in the bag? Let me know how you guys think this looks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Extract already has a good amount of unfermentables, so I would just skip the cara/crystal malt and do just pale extract and sugar. Say 9.5 lbs LME (8 lbs DME) and 1 lb corn sugar. You have to have some extra gravity in there since you'll lose wort volume to all those hops, so I based that on a 5.5 gallon batch. I'd also consider adding some of the extract late to up hop utilization and keep the color light.

It's a great recipe, but a few tips. Strain out as much of the hops before going into the fermenter (they'll just get in the way when you try to rack). Put the dry hops in bags weighted down with sanitized marbles (to keep them submerged and out of the way of racking). You can just add the Chinook at the start of the boil, you need extra IBUs if you are doing a concentrated boil anyway.

Hope that helps

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 06-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
IPAAAA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the response oldsock.

So something like this...?

9.5 lbs LME (8 lbs DME)
1 lb 2-row malt
1 lb corn sugar
WLP001 yeast

Steep all grains, corn sugar in 1 gal of 151F water for 45 minutes.

(calculate how much you need based of AAU%) oz 42.9 AAU Warrior (90 min)
(calculate how much you need based of AAU%) oz 25.6 AAU Chinook (90 min)
(calculate how much you need based of AAU%) oz 12 AAU Simcoe (45 min)
(calculate how much you need based of AAU%) oz 14.3 AAU Columbus (30 min)
(calculate how much you need based of AAU%) oz 20.5 AAU Centennial (0 min)
(calculate how much you need based of AAU%) oz 12 AAU Simcoe (0 min)

Ferment at 68F. Dry hop 2 weeks.

3.25 oz Columbus (Dry Hop 12 to 14 Days Total)
1.75 oz Centennial (Dry Hop 12 to 14 Days Total)
1.75 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop 12 to 14 Days Total)

.25 oz Columbus (Dry Hop 5 days to go in dry hop)
.75 oz Centennial (Dry Hop 5 days to go in dry hop)
.75 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop 5 days to go in dry hop)

So not sure if I should keep the 2-row and I just added the chinook total from the steep into the first drop in the boil. (19.5+6.1=25.6 AAU) Is that the correct way to think of it?

What percentage of the LME should I put in at the beginning and how much should I save for the end? Also, is there a specific time to put it in at the end?

The marble trick...will it matter for me since I have a spigot in my bucket?

Old 06-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why are you going to mash 1 lb of 2-row? Just drop the two row and another pound or so of LME.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
Oldsock
Recipes 

Agreed, no need for the two row, but no need to add extra extract (the extract and sugar should get you to ~1.072).

Otherwise sounds good, fine math on the extra Chinooks in the boil. How big a boil are you doing? I'd try to keep the pre-boil gravity around 1.050-1.060. You can add the rest of the extract with 5-10 min to go.

The hops could still plug the spigot, so I'd still bag them, but it is up to you.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 06-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
IPAAAA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichthy View Post
Why are you going to mash 1 lb of 2-row? Just drop the two row and another pound or so of LME.
Because I am new to this and don't know what I am doing exactly. So I don't need to steep any grains in this recipe...guess that is why the sugar is there eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Agreed, no need for the two row, but no need to add extra extract (the extract and sugar should get you to ~1.072).

Otherwise sounds good, fine math on the extra Chinooks in the boil. How big a boil are you doing? I'd try to keep the pre-boil gravity around 1.050-1.060. You can add the rest of the extract with 5-10 min to go.

The hops could still plug the spigot, so I'd still bag them, but it is up to you.
I was thinking of doing a 5 gallon boil. Not sure how much I will boil off so maybe start off with 7 gallons. How much of the 9.5 lbs of extract do you think I should save for the last 5-10 mins?

Last edited by IPAAAA; 06-24-2010 at 11:12 PM.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:43 PM   #7
Oldsock
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPAAAA View Post
I was thinking of doing a 5 gallon boil. Not sure how much I will boil off so maybe start off with 7 gallons. How much of the 9.5 lbs of extract do you think I should save for the last 5-10 mins?
If you are doing a full 5 gallon boil you can add all of the extract at the start if you want. 7 gallons to start seems reasonable, I get about 1 gallon per hour boil off, plus .5 gallons for the hops.

Steeping grains just aren't always necessary. For many beers they just aren't needed when you wouldn't use much besides basemalt in a recipe, I've done a Hefe and a Belgian Pale with just extract. In this case 1 lb of pale malt simply won't add much flavor in a beer this big and hoppy. You really need to mash pale malt anyway, not worth the effort in this case (very worth the effort if you want to do a beer with an unmalted grain or a malt that needs to be mashed).

Old 06-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
IPAAAA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
If you are doing a full 5 gallon boil you can add all of the extract at the start if you want. 7 gallons to start seems reasonable, I get about 1 gallon per hour boil off, plus .5 gallons for the hops.

Steeping grains just aren't always necessary. For many beers they just aren't needed when you wouldn't use much besides basemalt in a recipe, I've done a Hefe and a Belgian Pale with just extract. In this case 1 lb of pale malt simply won't add much flavor in a beer this big and hoppy. You really need to mash pale malt anyway, not worth the effort in this case (very worth the effort if you want to do a beer with an unmalted grain or a malt that needs to be mashed).
Gotcha. Well hopefully this turns out ok. You got any suggestions for a good strainer to use when pouring into the fermenter? Btw...you think I should do a secondary in with this setup?

I have so much still to learn it's kinda frustrating so that is why I keep asking so many questions.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:18 AM   #9
Oldsock
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPAAAA View Post
Gotcha. Well hopefully this turns out ok. You got any suggestions for a good strainer to use when pouring into the fermenter? Btw...you think I should do a secondary in with this setup?

I have so much still to learn it's kinda frustrating so that is why I keep asking so many questions.
Better to ask questions than to charge ahead ignoring advice. I use a metal mesh strainer from a cooking store. I pour into my bottling bucket then use the spigot to move the beer to the fermenter. Another option is a nylon paint strainer from Home Depot, they seem to clog up easier though. I'd do a secondary, but be careful racking, oxygen is the sworn enemy of hoppy beers (no splashing!).

Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 AM   #10
IPAAAA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Better to ask questions than to charge ahead ignoring advice. I use a metal mesh strainer from a cooking store. I pour into my bottling bucket then use the spigot to move the beer to the fermenter. Another option is a nylon paint strainer from Home Depot, they seem to clog up easier though. I'd do a secondary, but be careful racking, oxygen is the sworn enemy of hoppy beers (no splashing!).
Was reading your blog and saw that nylon strainer. I will have to look for a big enough strainer from a store here.

Ya I have read all about oxidation. As long as I don't splash I should be ok right?

Quick Reply