The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Which Pliny?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Default Which Pliny?

Hey guys and gals, I've heard so dang much about Pliny the Elder but am located in TX and just can't get a hold of a bottle or 12, so I'd like to brew up a batch so I can finally see what all the hubbub is about. The dilemma I see is which recipe should I brew?

I know Vinnie collaborated with Brew Your Own and came up with a 5gal version and thats what i would like to brew. I found one recipe that claims to be the BYO one here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/impe...tml#post129699

Another that looks like it could be official recipe is this one: http://farmhousebrewingsupply.fmtemp...ne%20PDF-1.pdf

Both have similar grainbills (slightly different %s), but the hops are pretty different in the two, and for this beer, I really want them to be right.

So, what do you think? Which is Vinnie's homebrew Pliny?

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Oldsock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 64

They both are, the first one was the recipe he handed out a few years ago, the other is more recent. I brewed the old one and really liked the results, I've heard similarly positive reviews on the new one as well.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 02-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I've brewed the new one and it is awesome. I used Maris Otter which was quite nice!

Old 02-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
barrooze
Recipes 

Awesome! Thanks for the replies! Looks like I'm good with either recipe. Lupulin threshold shift, here I come!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05

Old 02-22-2011, 03:23 AM   #5
GarrettMD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Just kegged a batch of the newer recipe using the Pliny Pack sold at farmhouse brewing supply. I subbed crystal-10 for the crystal-45 to better replicate the color, but kept the percentage the same, and I used american 2-row for my batch.

Came out very close to the actual thing. Aroma is the only thing lacking in my opinion, but even then it's not off by much.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:37 AM   #6
Bandit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed the new one, with the Pliny Hop Pack from farmhouse brewing supply. Turned out great, best beer I have brewed. I think the key is to have a low finishing gravity to make the Hops really pop. I mashed at 148deg for 90 min, boil for 90 min, aerated with O2 and pitched a 2L starter from a stir plate. My FG was 1.005. Keg didn't last near long enough. I just ordered another Pliny Hop Pack for my next brew.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:23 AM   #7
barrooze
Recipes 

I've been eyeing the Pliny Pack at Farmhouse, but the website says it's out of stock. When it's back in stock, I'll have to grab up a pack or two.

@Garrett what about the aroma needs changing? For someone who hasn't had a Pliny the Elder before, does it matter much? Just curious. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
GarrettMD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze View Post
@Garrett what about the aroma needs changing? For someone who hasn't had a Pliny the Elder before, does it matter much? Just curious. Thanks!
It's just a little weak IMHO, and this was my first dry-hopped beer so I'm not sure how to alter that between upping the weight of hops or shortening/lengthening the dry hop period. The actual aromas are very similar to the ones in pliny, just not as pronounced. When I pour the beer, I'm not overcome with a wave of citrus and pine hops like the real thing. Even still, it's one of the best aromas you will encounter in a IIPA, so it doesn't really matter much.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm wondering the same thing. I have the original recipe which has CTZ(Columbus) hops, no Chinook and Warrior.

I can buy a pound of Columbus for $10, or spend $20 to get just enough of the Chinook, Simcoe, etc.

I guess my question is, which of these is better?

Fall Line Brewing Company

http://www.beerisafourletterword.wordpress.com

Fermenter 1 - Spring Saison
Fermenter 2 -

Keg 1 - BCS Best Bitter
Keg 2 - McDole's APA
Keg 3 - BCS Robust Smoked Porter
Keg 4 - CYBI Obsidian Stout

Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
barrooze
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elproducto View Post
I guess my question is, which of these is better?
"better" is all in the eye of the beholder. What I was wondering is why Vinnie changed his recipe. Hops availability? Overall "improvement" of the recipe? Etc.

Eiher way, I just got the hops for the new recipe so I'll be brewing that one up at some point!

Quick Reply