Plinian IPA from NB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
I just ordered this kit (AG version of course). Has anybody ever tried it? It has a couple hop shots used for bittering, which I've never used before.

I brewed this same kit a few months ago & another one just arrived last week that I will brew next weekend. I have never had a real Pliney but what I ended up with was wonderful. This kit was the most involved brew I have ever done. Never had used the hop shots before, used more sparge water than previous brews, & more hops, by a long shot, added. I also kept this batch in my primary bucket until I kegged, which is not my normal way of doing things. I usually move my beers to a secondary vessel when I do any dry hopping but just left this in the primary, cold crashed & kegged. Lots of trub & hops left behind. Have fun with this brew, it is so worth it!

I brewed this same kit a few months ago & another one just arrived last week that I will brew next weekend. I have never had a real Pliney but what I ended up with was wonderful. This kit was the most involved brew I have ever done. Never had used the hop shots before, used more sparge water than previous brews, & more hops, by a long shot, added. I also kept this batch in my primary bucket until I kegged, which is not my normal way of doing things. I usually move my beers to a secondary vessel when I do any dry hopping but just left this in the primary, cold crashed & kegged. Lots of trub & hops left behind. Have fun with this brew, it is so worth it!

Awesome. I have 2 full kegs now, not sure when I can brew this. I ordered unmilled grains so I can hold off a while. How long did you primary and dry hop for? How long before kegging. With my efficiency I should get a 1.088 OG beer. Maybe need to age for a while. I know this is not typical for IPA's, but DIPA's is a different story.

Fantastic kit, and damn close.

1.088's going to make a pretty fundamentally different beer though, I have no idea how that'll taste. I don't think it'll be for the better. The 1.070 gravity produces a really really good beer. I wouldn't stray too far from that.

As far as dry hopping, I just toss everything in for three days and then cold crash. All the data seems to show that dry hopping for any longer than 3 or so days is a waste.

I'd leave it on the primary for two weeks, dry hop for three days, immediately keg.

Fantastic kit, and damn close.

1.088's going to make a pretty fundamentally different beer though, I have no idea how that'll taste. I don't think it'll be for the better. The 1.070 gravity produces a really really good beer. I wouldn't stray too far from that.

As far as dry hopping, I just toss everything in for three days and then cold crash. All the data seems to show that dry hopping for any longer than 3 or so days is a waste.

I'd leave it on the primary for two weeks, dry hop for three days, immediately keg.

I'm not worried about the gravity. Actually with this much grain my efficiency will not be as good. I may end up hitting close to 1.070 due to mashing more grains. I normally mash around 10 lbs and have great efficiency. The problem with kits is that everything is already weighed and divided up. If I put this kit together at my LHBS I would probably save money due to my equipment efficiency.

The instructions have a 2 step dry hop schedule. Dry hop for 10 days then add more for an additional 4 days. This beer should be interesting.

My OG was 1.068. I followed the dry hop schedule that was included. Cold crashed the same time I added the 2nd hopping. Started drinking early & quick. I had an issue with a keg & had to transfer beer to a second keg; started having what I thought were oxidation issues because the beer was the best early with off flavors coming in @ a week later. The solution was to drink it quick & didn't have a problem finding thirsty helpers!:drunk:

I brewed it a few weeks ago, went from 1.071 to 1.007.

Its more bitter than Pliny, but it may be due to my water. I really like it though!

With IPAs I tend to do a single dry hop that's much quicker than suggested in kits.
My thought with IPAs and IIPAs is they should be in bottles no later than 28 days after brewing.

I think often the kits are given longer time frames than necessary simply because a lot of inexperienced brewers are using them.

BTW--take it from me, do NOT sample the hopshots. You won't have functioning taste buds for a bit.

Back