Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Please review my next brew plan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
tx-brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Please review my next brew plan

Ok, so have done one extract and one ag biab (3 gal). I would like to do a partial mash (5 gal) because my brew pot is a little small to do ag 5 gal. My pot is about 6 gallons I believe. I want to do northern brewers caribou slobber but I changed things in beersmith a bit to ingredients I can get at my lhbs and a few other small changes, increased size to 5.5 gal. I plan on doing biab and dunk sparge and would like to boil as much water as I feel safe doing, then topping off with cold water in the primary.

Anyone mind reviewing my recipe and making sure everything looks right. I have attached the beersmith recipe, beersmith "instructions", and original caribou slobber ag recipe.

Thanks in advanced.

cs1.jpg   cs2.jpg   cs3.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Once you're past the danger point of boilovers, you could just add boiling water to the pot if you wanted to boil the full amount. This would be my strategy for IPAs and anything else highly dependent on hop utilization. For this particular beer, topping up post-boil is fine. If you use a 10lb (1.25 gallon) bag of ice instead of cold water, you'll chill much faster. With a partial boil and a bigger batch size, you'll lose some IBUs from the NB version. Assuming you haven't made your purchase yet, I'd switch the Goldings to something in the 7-8% range.

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
tx-brewer
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. I will add boiling water and shoot for about 4 to 4.25 after boil so I can add 10 ice to cool and bring up to the amount I want. Any recommendations on a different hop to use?

Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
tx-brewer
Recipes 

Or should I use the same hops since I should be close to full boil? I don't mind if its slightly less bitter, as ling as the flavors remain balanced

Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 4

At 60 minutes, it doesn't really matter what the flavor is like, since it will all boil off. Northern Brewer is probably close, but there's bound to be something available at the right strength.

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
tx-brewer
Recipes 

Ok, gotcha. I'm going to get ingredients after class, so ill see what they have and maybe they can look over my plan as well. Thanks a lot for the help, I appreciate it.

Quick Reply