Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Please opinions on recipe?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 06:39 AM   #11
Brewsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewsmith's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 6,259
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Default

This looks perfectly fine to me

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
13-C Stout, Oatmeal Stout
Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.065
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 48
Min Clr: 22 Max Clr: 60 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.75
Anticipated OG: 1.048 Plato: 11.90
Anticipated SRM: 36.7
Anticipated IBU: 38.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 79 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------
Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.041 SG 10.18 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.
Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager
Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
51.4 4.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
22.9 2.00 lbs. Flaked Barley America 1.032 2
11.4 1.00 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
8.6 0.75 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450
5.7 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 36.9 60 min.
0.25 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 1.6 15 min.

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1084 Irish Ale

__________________
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles
Brewsmith is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 06:43 AM   #12
dp69_2001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Richfield, UT.
Posts: 370
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith View Post
This looks perfectly fine to me

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
13-C Stout, Oatmeal Stout
Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.065
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 48
Min Clr: 22 Max Clr: 60 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.75
Anticipated OG: 1.048 Plato: 11.90
Anticipated SRM: 36.7
Anticipated IBU: 38.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 79 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------
Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.041 SG 10.18 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.
Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager
Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
51.4 4.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
22.9 2.00 lbs. Flaked Barley America 1.032 2
11.4 1.00 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
8.6 0.75 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450
5.7 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 36.9 60 min.
0.25 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 1.6 15 min.

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1084 Irish Ale
That looks terrific. That's exactly what I have in Beersmith right now. Except, I have the IBU's bumped up a little.
__________________
dp69_2001 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 06:45 AM   #13
Brewsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewsmith's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 6,259
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Default

I bumped the base malt up to 4.5 lbs just to bring the OG up to 1.048 while using your set efficiency of 79%

__________________
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles
Brewsmith is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 06:48 AM   #14
dp69_2001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Richfield, UT.
Posts: 370
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith View Post
I bumped the base malt up to 4.5 lbs just to bring the OG up to 1.048 while using your set efficiency of 79%
It varies. I just want to hit right on the border and 79% was the best I've ever hit. So I put it at that so that I could get it right to the highest OG and that way if I get lower I won't be below BJCP guidelines.
__________________

Last edited by dp69_2001; 08-08-2008 at 06:48 AM. Reason: messed up
dp69_2001 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 06:51 AM   #15
dp69_2001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Richfield, UT.
Posts: 370
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

But, Since I changed the BJCP to Oatmeal Stout it opens it up to 1.065 so..

__________________
dp69_2001 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 07:03 AM   #16
Brewsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewsmith's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 6,259
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Default

What do you want your starting gravity to be?

__________________
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles
Brewsmith is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #17
dp69_2001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Richfield, UT.
Posts: 370
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I was shooting for the highest gravity for the BJCP for 79% eff. Since, I avg around 75% I'm not too worried about going over. However I want the maximum ABV I can achieve while matching the guidelines for this brew simply because it's for a few special occasions. If I drop a few SG points it won't matter much if I shoot for the maximum SG either. Here is what I have in Beersmith right now:


BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: August oatmeal stout
Brewer: Dallas
Asst Brewer: Cody
Style: Oatmeal Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.01 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 32.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 79.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (2.5 SRM) Grain 63.83 %
2 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 17.02 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.51 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.38 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.26 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.8 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (45 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale


Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 11.75 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 14.69 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F


Notes:
------


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

__________________
dp69_2001 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #18
Brewsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewsmith's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 6,259
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Make sure the Roasted barley is 12 oz and the Chocolate malt is 8 oz

__________________
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles
Brewsmith is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 07:21 AM   #19
Brewsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewsmith's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 6,259
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Default

How are you getting so few IBU's from 2 oz of EKGs at 60 min? I'm getting over 40. Also, the Lovibond rating of the Roasted Barley in your program is pretty low. Normal roasted barley is closer to 500 on the scale. That will affect the color a bunch. The amount itself looks fine, though.

__________________
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles
Brewsmith is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #20
dp69_2001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Richfield, UT.
Posts: 370
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith View Post
How are you getting so few IBU's from 2 oz of EKGs at 60 min? I'm getting over 40. Also, the Lovibond rating of the Roasted Barley in your program is pretty low. Normal roasted barley is closer to 500 on the scale. That will affect the color a bunch. The amount itself looks fine, though.
I'm not sure. I haven't edited them any. If the amounts are fine and it fits in the BJCP using promash and beersmith I'm not too worried about how it will turn out. It's showing very dark on mine and definantly within guidelines. So whether it comes out extremely dark or too dark to see through isn't a huge deal I suppose. Anything else?
__________________
dp69_2001 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my first recipe, need opinions Gildog Recipes/Ingredients 2 04-29-2009 05:58 PM
Opinions on this recipe TCJosh Recipes/Ingredients 5 03-13-2009 02:31 AM
opinions on recipe sconnie Mead Forum 18 09-25-2006 02:07 AM
Opinions on an ESB recipe, please Steve973 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 08-10-2006 04:53 PM
Opinions on an ESB recipe, please Steve973 Recipes/Ingredients 11 08-10-2006 04:49 PM