Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Please critique this Stout Recipe.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
durbanpoison
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Please critique this Stout Recipe.

A buddy of mine put this together and we're both still new to brewing so I thought I'd throw it up on here so for more experienced people to comment on. That way we don't find out the hard way that some aspect of the recipe won't work. Here it is:

8 oz. Cacao Nibs
1 lb. Black Barley, Roasted Malt, Chocolate Malt
6 lbs. Sparkling Amber Extract
1.5 oz. Columbus
.5 oz. Nugget
WLP013 London Ale Yeast
WLP715 Champagne Yeast
1.5 lbs. Dark Belgian Candi Sugar

Boil water and steep Black Barley, Roasted Malt, and Chocolate Malt for 30 minutes.
Crack Nibs and add to steep for 20 minutes, add Sparkling Amber Malt Extract.
Add 1 oz. of the Columbus, boil for 10 minutes.
Finish with .5 oz. Nugget and .5 Columbus.
Boil for 30 minutes.
Fill Carboy half way with potable water, add wort, pitch yeast at 65F
Secondary Fermentation:
Switch to secondary fermenter add Belgian Candi Sugar pitch Champagne Yeast at 70 - 75F

OG:1.198 FG:1.079 SRM:210 IBUs:161 estABV:12% - 15%

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
jjp36
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What size batch is this? There's no way your going to get an OG of 1.198 with only 6lbs of extract and 1.5 pounds of candi sugar.

You also have a ton of roasted malts in there and your IBUs are off the charts. This beer would be extremely bitter and roasty without the malt to balance it with how the recipe is now.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Is that a pound each of the black, roasted, and chocolate malts? If so, way way too much. I'd cut out the black completely and half or quarter the chocolate. A pound of roasted barley is good though.

I also don't think steeping the nibs is going to do you much good. You could add them to the boil, but I think that would extract too much astringency. I'd add them to a secondary for a week or so to extract the flavor without the bitterness.

I agree too that 161 IBUs is off the chart. For something like this I'd shoot for maybe 40-50. If you really wanted to go up to 80 you could probably get away with it, but that would be my absolute max I'd even consider.

Also, there should be no need to add any champagne yeast to the secondary. There will be plenty of yeast left over from primary fermentation to eat up any sugars you add later.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
durbanpoison
Recipes 

It's a 5 gallon batch and I'm glad we threw it up on here for input. Thanks guys. I think the plan to add the Candi and the champagne yeast when transferring to the secondary is to get that 12-15% ABV so I'm assuming you're saying that's not necessary.

Last edited by durbanpoison; 03-16-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
HiGravShawn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What kind of stout? If this is an Imperial (which would be in line with your OG num) then your IBU could be 100ish. Still 168 seems tongue blistering and the malt isn't in the ranges for a Imp stout either.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you're just steeping the 3lbs of malt, all you've got for fermentables is the sugar and the amber extract, in which case, in 5g, your OG should be 1.066.

Theres something screwey in the way you put this into whatever system you're using. They only way I can get OG anywhere near that high is if I drop it down to 2g, and include the 3lbs of specialty malts as fermentables.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts

Didn't notice it before, but your OG is no where close to accurate - even if you mashed all your grains. How did you do these calculations?

Adding the candi sugar will add some fermentables, but no where near enough to get you to 12-14% ABV. And if you added enough to get you there, I imagine you'd end up with nothing better than a thin rocket fuel that you wouldn't want to drink. If you are shooting for an ABV of 10%+ you're going to need to add a lot more malt extract (or do a mash, but from the sounds of it, you aren't set up for that). I suppose if you are shooting for a 14% beer, you may need to add some additional yeast to get it there. However, a beer this big is going to take a lot of babying to keep the yeast happy and healthy all the way through. You might consider starting with something closer to the 10% range - easier to do and just about any yeast can handle that (I've made a few 10% barley wines without adding any additional yeast - just pitch a nice, big healthy starter)

My Beer Cellar

Last edited by JLem; 03-16-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
extra_medium
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i would suggest putting the nibs in secondary and allow the alcohol to extract the flavor, i would be concerned that the oils or cocoa butter would get pulled from the nips at steeping temps and that would kill any sort of head retention. i would also hold off on the Champagne Yeast unless you absolutely need it.

Salute!

_____
~XM~

Best Hop Manual Ever
My brew sculpture

Old 03-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Theres something screwey in the way you put this into whatever system you're using. They only way I can get OG anywhere near that high is if I drop it down to 2g, and include the 3lbs of specialty malts as fermentables.
Same with the IBUs. No idea how you got 161 IBUs from what sounds like a 10 or maybe 40min boil.

+1 on what medium said. when I boiled nibs it totally killed my head retention
Old 03-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
durbanpoison
Recipes 

My buddy put this recipe together and I don't know how he got his OG and IBU measures. We are shooting for an imperial stout type, how much malt would we need then for a 10% ABV? Any ideas on how many IBUs it should come out to? Does the amount of nibs sound good to you guys for putting in the secondary?

Quick Reply