Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Please critique this Oatmeal Stout recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
djnorberg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Please critique this Oatmeal Stout recipe

All,
I've been brewing with extract and specialty grains for a number of years now, and I'm finally deciding to try a partial mash. I'm planning to make a 3 gallon batch of oatmeal stout and, after reading a number of different recipes, pulled this together:

4# Light Liquid Malt Extract
3/4# Oatmeal (Instant)
1.25# Two-Row English Pale Malt
1# Crystal 120L
10oz Roasted Barley
6oz Black Patent

Hops:
1.25oz Northern Brewer (Boil)
1oz Goldings (last 10min)

White Labs Irish Ale Yeast

What do you think? In the past I've brewed using dark LME and I'm a bit worried about getting it dark enough since I'll be starting with the light LME. But, I don't want to overdo it either.

As for the partial mash, I'm planning on mashing the 2# of oatmeal and two-row in 2.5 quarts at as close to 152 degrees as I can get. Then I'll sparge with another 2.5-3 quarts at 170 degrees. One question here: does it make sense to mash the specialty grains along with the oatmeal, or is it best to steep them as usual?

I think I have a handle on the doing the partial mash from the various threads I've read here. Any suggestions, tips, or recipe changes you'd suggest before I go for it?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

It looks great. My only suggestion is to pull back the amount of roasted barley a bit. My 6 gallon batch used 12 oz of it and it is pretty pronounced.

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 10-24-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 32

You might consider omitting the 10 minute hop addition, this style really shouldnt have much in the way of hop flavor or aroma.

I also agree with Germelli1 on backing off the roasted barley. I use 1 lb in a 12 gallon batch (along with 1.75 lbs chocolate and 1.5 lbs crystal 120) and it comes out quite roasty.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:39 AM   #4
heywolfie1015
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wonder if the black patent is necessary. The brew will already be plenty dark, and you will get the roast character from the roasted barley. Maybe you should use Chocolate instead, and pull back the roasted barley a bit. So, 8 oz each of Chocolate and roasted.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:50 AM   #5
jmick
Recipes 

for my oatmeal stout (5.5gal), I use only 8 oz of roasted barley and no black patent. I also toss in 12 oz of chocolate malt.

Upcoming Brews: IIPA, SMaSH, Black IPA

Old 10-25-2010, 02:10 AM   #6
djnorberg
Recipes 

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will pull back on the roasted barley and black patent, and I like the idea of adding in the chocolate malt. I'm toying with the idea of 6oz roasted barley, 6-8oz chocolate, and maybe leaving 2-4oz black patent. The base recipe I started with called for quite a bit of the black patent, and I recall liking that recipe last time I brewed it. (1998!)

Old 10-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I don't like Black Patent in Stout of any kind. I think it's too burnt, phenolic and astringent. I do like a combination of Chocolate Malt and Roasted Barley.

I also strongly encourage you to either cut or severely curtail your Crystal malt proportion, for two reasons. First, I don't think it's necessary in Oatmeal Stout; let the oats take center stage. Second, 120L Crystal is potent. I don't think it's wise to exceed 4-6 ounces in five gallons, regardless of the rest of the grist. I recommend omitting it and substituting a like amount of pale malt.

I second the notion of deleting the flavor hops addition. I find such an addition inappropriate for Dry Irish or Oatmeal Stout. Let the bitterness come from a combination of roasted grains and hops, and let the flavors be those of the roasted grains and oats.

Irish Ale is a good yeast for this style.

Good luck!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 10-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 150

I second the comment on omitting the c-120.

I also use generous quantities of roasted barley in my stouts and after a few months of aging, they come out very nice. Black patent isn't necessary.

TB

1. Camp Beer 2. Camp Beer 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. Lambic 3. Lambic 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Breakfast Stout, Belgian Dubbel, Chocolate Milk Stout, German Pilsner (lagering), Dry Stout x2, Oatmeal Amber Ale x2

Old 10-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
therealrsr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a similar thread I just started so I am paying a lot of attention to yours. I don't want to highjack, so in terms of your recipe, does anyone have a concern with the 3/4# oats to 1.25# 2 row? Specifically, will there be enough enzymes for a 60 min single mash? (I am assuming your time as it was not specified)

To try and help with one of your questions, I am just throwing the specialty grains in with the mash for ease. Either will work based on my research.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:14 AM   #10
djnorberg
Recipes 

Thanks - I was also having second thoughts on the crystal this afternoon. I think I was mainly worried about color. It seems that a mix of 6-7oz roasted barley and 8 chocolate malt should get the color about right for 3 gallons. I'll play more with color estimates to see what comes out.

I am planning on a single 60 min mash. From what I've been reading, it sounds like that will be enough, although it might be on the low-side.

Quick Reply