Please critique this newcastle clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
Hello..... I am not sure which will give me the taste and color I am looking for.

Below is what I doubled for a 10 gallon recipe.

18 lbs maris otter
1 lb 6 oz chocolate 300L
10 oz C40L
10 oz Victory 28L
8 oz Pale chocolate 200L
1.5 oz goldings @ 60 min
1.5 oz goldings @ 5 min

I visited the Store today and the guys said it would be too dark so they refined it with this grain bill:

18 lbs maris otter
8 oz chocolate 300L
10 oz C40L
10 oz Victory 28L
4 oz Pale chocolate 200L
1.5 oz goldings @ 60 min
1.5 oz goldings @ 5 min

The red highlights are the changes. I don't have software yet. Can someone please plug the numbers in and see what is better for the taste and color of a Newcastle.

Thanks for the help

Your welcome! - your sure to get lots of help in the future with the facetious tone!

The internet is filled with many free websites & software for plugging in recipes so this comment is ?? "I don't have software yet"

I think the recipe looks tasty. I don't know how close it would be to Newcastle, but I am sure you have done your research.

samc,

Man you are F'ing talented.....to think you can hear my voice through the computer and knew what I was thinking when I wrote for help???????? WOW!

Thanks guys. I looked around. Actually this recipe is from this months BYO. I doubled it for a 10 gallon recipe and the guys at my store thought it was way to much chocolate and the color would be way to dark. I actually found that I could download a free trial of Beertools! Never knew that.

Thanks again
Joe

I used a Newcastle clone as a base for a Northern Brown earlier this year. My computer crashed, so I'm going from memory here...

I would up your crystal malt contributions and if you are looking for that "English" flavor consider using some of the English crystal malts. As for me...

I did 1/2 pound of 60L and 1/2 lb of 80L in a 5.5 gallon batch. Personally, I didn't see any added complexity from using the two crystal malts and I believe it just added to conditioning time.

I did 1/2 lb victory and 1/4 special roast, but if you're going with MO, I think the special roast would be unneeded (though I love biscuit flavors personally).

I used no chocolate malt in my PM, and I'd think that you'd want mild chocolate if you want to get into the newcastle ballpark.

So, in other words, if it were me, I'd use at least a pound of darker crystal malt, scratch the chocolate malt and up the pale chocolate to 8 oz. I'd probably use more victory, but that's my taste.

Oh, and what yeast are you using? Jamil suggested on his show to use Notty to get a dry finish, and I think that's a nice guideline for the style.

Latest posts

Back