Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Please Critique my Bitter Buddy Honey Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 05:43 AM   #11
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
flavor will all be scurbbed off unless you add the honey in the last 5 minutes of the boil

Bah, I just used honey today in my brew. I put it in as an initial ingredient in the boil. I hate to hear that the flavor will be keeled off... Is there any possibility of getting a honey flavor post boil? Could it be that there is a way to add some to the secondary or so? If this is probable, what measures would have to be taken for sanitation?

Beer lovers make better drinkers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2005, 02:00 PM   #12
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just got around to bottling it about a week ago, so it still needs time to carbonate. Last Sunday, I tried one just to see how it was coming along. I think this will be a nice, summer ale once the carbonation is complete. Even thought it was relatively flat, I finished the whole 12 ounces!

It had a nice, slightly sweet taste, only a hint of hop aroma, was a bit dry and finished clean. I think - or hope - that, after another three weeks or so for it to carbonate and mellow out, some of that sweetness will subside and the hop aroma will come out a little more.

Old 05-30-2005, 01:05 AM   #13
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Honey post boil

The best research I have found for using honey is to pasteurize it @170 DegF for 2.5 hrs. Then add to your primary at prime fermentation. You can do this by putting the honey in a sauce pan with a lid. heat to 170 Deg F on stove top then put it in a preheated oven 170 Deg F covered for 2.5 hours. Then leave the cover on and let it cool. Add the honey to the primary at the hieght of fermentation. The document I found said that you will lose most if not all the honey flavor in the boil. It went on to say honey will ferment completely. I plan to do this next week. I will let you know how well it worked.

Your bittering hops appear weak. I am assuming you are brewing 5 gallons.
Since the alpha acids of Cascade are much lower usually 5.4 -5.7 % they are best for flavor and aroma. I would double your bittering amount if using Cascade.

Try using 3/4 oz Centennial then add 1 oz Cascade for flavor and 1 oz Cascade for aroma.

My 2 cents.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:13 PM   #14
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerNeedOfBeer
Is there any possibility of getting a honey flavor post boil?
Make an unflavored mead!

I've made about 7 batches. Never had a bad mead yet.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:16 PM   #15
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My friend and I had a few bottles of this over the holiday weekend and really liked it. It is a good summer beer with a very, very light honey flavor. It's pretty clean overall. Any typical MGD or Bud drinkers who are skeptical of trying a homebrew would like this, I would think. For the next batch I would like a bit more hop profile and will probably take your advice on the hop schedule, DBAib12.

I also might add the honey later in the boil, maybe during the last 10-15 minutes. I want a light honey flavor, but not the strength of something like a mead. Other than those two items, I wouldn't change anything.

Quick Reply