Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Please Critique this Mild Recipe...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Redbeard5289
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Please Critique this Mild Recipe...

Greetings Everyone.

I am looking for some critiquing/feedback on this Mild Recipe that I created so that I could use up some Kent Golding Hops before they go stale and a few other ingredients that I have on hand.

Redbeard's Mild Ale
(Extract with Grains)

4 lbs Light LME (late addition)
8 oz Aromatic Malt
8 oz Crystal Malt 60ºL
3 oz Chocolate Malt
3 oz Roasted Barley
4 oz Cara-Pils

.75 oz Kent Goldings -60min (4.5% AA)
.5 oz Fuggle -10min (4.8% AA)
.5 oz Fuggle -5 min (4.8% AA)

1 tsp Irish Moss

Wyeast 1098 (British Ale)

Corn Sugar -Priming (Like 2.5 - 4oz to keep the CO2 Volume under 2.0)

Steep Grains in 3 qts of water at 154ºF for 30min. Rinse Grains with 1.5 qts of water at 170ºF. Add water to make 6 gallons and bring to a boil. Boil for 60 minutes, add hops at times indicated above. Add LME and Irish Moss at 15min left of 60min boil time.
Coll Wort and transfer to Fermenter, top off to 5 gallons of cool water if needed. Aerate Wort and Pitch yeast. Ferment at 66ºF until complete then rack into bottles/keg with corn sugar.

I ran this thru BrewTarget 2.0 and got the following specs for the recipe,
OG = 1.036
FG = 1.009
IBU = 18.9
SRM = 16.5
ABV = 3.5%

So what do you guys and gals think? I know some the ingredients are a bit untraditional for a mild, but hey that's what makes home-brewing so much fun is going outside the lines.

Thanks for looking
Redbeard5289

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I would lower the dark malts, 6 oz of choc/RB seems like it would make for a roastier beer than milds usually are.

The aromatic malt really should be mashed with some enzymatic base malt since it contains starch, any chance you could do a mini-mash?

If you want to brew "too style" I would get rid of the late hop additions. That said it will still be plenty tasty with them.

Other than that it looks pretty tasty to me, good luck brewing.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 01-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree that this is heavy on the roast. I just listened to the BN podcast with the Q&A session with Dr. Charlie Bamforth (http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/582) and he flat out said that traditional milds should not be roasty.

Also, here's the BJCP description of the style - http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style11.php

Old 01-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
Redbeard5289
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone, appreciate it!

I know its not in-line with the style guidelines for a Mild but I figured the recipe looked tasty enough on paper to give it a try. Will brew it up this weekend and try to give a report back on this recipe and let you know whats going on.

For a more traditional mild recipe, the next mild I do after this will be the Mild-Mannered Ale that Orfy submitted to this forum a while back. That one looked rather tasty too!

Thanks
Redbeard5289

Old 01-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard5289 View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone, appreciate it!

I know its not in-line with the style guidelines for a Mild but I figured the recipe looked tasty enough on paper to give it a try. Will brew it up this weekend and try to give a report back on this recipe and let you know whats going on.
As a stand alone recipe, I think it looks quite tasty. Should definitely be good. Good luck with the brew!

Old 01-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
As a stand alone recipe, I think it looks quite tasty. Should definitely be good. Good luck with the brew!
Agreed. In the future try to give us a better idea of what sort of feedback you want, or what type of beer you are trying to brew (for example you said it was untraditional, but I wasn't sure if you were talking about malt/hops or something else I didn't see).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
gunhaver
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
I agree that this is heavy on the roast. I just listened to the BN podcast with the Q&A session with Dr. Charlie Bamforth (http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/582) and he flat out said that traditional milds should not be roasty.

Also, here's the BJCP description of the style - http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style11.php
"traditional" by BJCP standards, maybe.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Also traditional going back to the 1880s. Roasty has never been a part of the Mild profile, nor is it part of any current commercial Mild.

People can make whatever they wish, but calling a beer by a specific style when it violates the standards is misleading.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply