Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Place for a good price on grain?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013, 03:11 AM   #1
Phogaboa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Place for a good price on grain?

Hi folks.

I live in Bloomington, IN, and am a busted poor grad student. Some friends and I have been brewing and started doing all grain. While this is more economical than what we were doing with liquid malt extract, I'd like to further reduce costs by finding a good price on barley. The local brew shop charges over a buck and a quarter per pound for a 50 lb bag, yet I see norther brewer sells the same bag for $34, which is a bit south of a dollar per pound.

So, I'm wondering, where around Bloomington can a price similar to Northern's be found? I'd buy from northern, but the shipping cost makes it about the same as the local shop.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Northern Brewer moves a lot more grain than your LHBS, so they get a better price to start with. Add to it that they don't really have a store front/prime location (I may be wrong here), so they can sell at a bigger discount.

Your best bet would be to make friends with a local brewpub and see if you can "tag along" on their order(s).

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
nopride
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Actually, northern brewer has a couple of locations here in MN. Funny enough Midwest is not too far away from the Minneapolis location too. It had been nice having these two stores be my lhbs.

Quick Reply