Is this the place to ask for recipe critiques?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STRIKER76

Reaction score
Ok, so I recently finished my first two batches and I am wondering what you all think about the recipes. First let me say althought i probably should have used a recipe kit to start with, I came up with my own recipes after some moderate research, and would like some input before I start my next batch in a couple days. Obviously I should have asked this question prior to brewing.

Batch #1 Honey Weizen

1 lbs Cara wheat (steeped)
6 lbs Wheat Malt extract Syrup
1 lbs Honey late Addition (15 Min)

1 oz Hallertau hops, .5 60 min, .5 15 min

Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat Blend

i brewed this for a friend whom sent a lot of time in Germany and has a German wife. He likes wheat beers, but is not a fan of hoppy ones.

Batch #2 Basically an American Amber

1lb British Carastan (steeped)
.5lb American Crystal 70L (steeped)

6 lbs Amber Malt extract syrup
1 lb Light DME late addition (15 Min)

.5 oz Brewer's Gold 9 % AA 60 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings 5.5% AA 10 min

Wyeast 1882 Thames Valley II

This one was for me!

So let me know what you think, but please remember these are my first two batches.

I'm not a fan of wheat beers (only have made two!) so I don't know about the hefeweizen.

As far as the amber, the basics look good. My only concern is with that much crystal malt and amber extract. Amber extract has crystal malt in it as well (but I don't think anybody knows how much!) so you may have a bit too much crystal malt in there as a result.

My preference is to use only light or pale extract, and use the grains to provide color and flavor, so that you have control over the amount of sweetness.

I'm sure you'e aware, but with the British hops in there, the British yeast, and the British crystal, that beer may taste great but it isn't an American amber. But......call it a British pale ale like an ESB and you've got it!

yes, it is definitely not American. I was originally going more of an English Northern Brown, but then decided to change it. I had already ordered most of the ingredients (for the English Northern) and decided to use them. I will call it an ESB, I think it fits nicely in that category. The OG was too high for an American Amber as well (1.060)

Back