Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pitch the liquid?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 11:06 PM   #1
Jeff48
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pitch the liquid?

1st time using a starter after 14 great brew sessions.

I have a great starter going and am about 1 1/2 hours from pitching the yeasties. I made a 2 cup water to 1/2 cup DME mix and added 1 tube of British Yeast from White Labs a couple of days ago. I have about a 1/4 layer of yeast at the bottom of the 1 gallon jug.

Question: shall I pitch the yeast by swirling all the liquid around the jug and suspending all the yeast or should I pour off some of the liquid 1st and the swirl and pitch

Drinking:Blondie's Amer. Ale 3- Pyramid Power Cervezas 3 - Georgie Washington's Vogelkirsche - Breakfast of Champions (Orange Heffe)- Himbeerehefeweizenbier (Raz Heffe)-Erin Go Bragh - Excalibur Stout AG - Moondust (Blue Moon clone)

Prim:
2ndry:Amarillo Blondie 2-PP Cervezas 4
Conditioning:Petey's AG Porter- John Barleywine Must Live

Hops Grown in 08: Magnum, Goldings, Cascade, Centennial

Wine:
Prim.- AUS Shiraz
2ndry- Gewurztraminer - Port
Bottle Aging- Burgeron Blanc

Last edited by Jeff48; 08-09-2007 at 11:20 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Either method works. The school of thought is that if your final beer is going to be similar to the starter (i.e. Pale ale) then add the liquid and all, if you are making something like a stout or porter then you might want to pour off the liquid. For a starter similar in size to yours, I'd just pitch the whole thing.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:16 PM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

They say it is best to pitch at high krausen. If you can do that, do that. It will take some time in the fridge to settle out. It is nice to get rid of that spent wort, but don't delay your brew or let the wort sit before pitching. But with that small a volume it won't make much difference.

Quick Reply