The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Piraat "Belgium Tripel IPA" Clone Help...Arrgh!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #11
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

Piraat is a triple. I think they use a SLIGHTLY larger amount of hops, but they age it before distribution so it doesn't come through in the final product.

this is one of my favorite beers. definitely go with the styrian goldings, it'll give the beer just the right flavor/aroma hops.

i'd go with the first recipe and be ready to age it for about a year.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
Piraat is a triple. I think they use a SLIGHTLY larger amount of hops, but they age it before distribution so it doesn't come through in the final product.

this is one of my favorite beers. definitely go with the styrian goldings, it'll give the beer just the right flavor/aroma hops.

i'd go with the first recipe and be ready to age it for about a year.
I was leaning towards the first one as well....And I am planning to stick this away for a long time...I was thinking about this today...is it better to bulk condition this for a long time, or bottle condition it for a year?

Thanks!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-30-2008, 10:52 PM   #13
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I was thinking about this today...is it better to bulk condition this for a long time, or bottle condition it for a year?
I've been thinking about the same thing, for the Belgian Strong Dark I'm making next. From posts elsewhere on here, I got the impression that bulk aging is better, following the reasoning that a large mass of beer is more likely to age consistently than 40 smaller quantities of the same beer. I was planning to leave my beer in primary for a month, then rack it to secondary and leave in a dark cupboard for six months (or longer if I can control myself). I guess it'd still need a couple of months in bottles after that too.

It'd be interesting to know what you opt for. Good luck with it!

Old 07-30-2008, 11:43 PM   #14
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

i have a little experience with this now and i would say: ALL THE ABOVE!

let it sit in the primary for a couple of months, rousing it for the first couple of weeks to keep the yeast going. if you're using malt extract and sugar, you could add that later in the fermentation...stepping it up every few days or every week or so.

let it ferment low, 65°F or so, then let it raise slowly near the end of fermentation. i would never let it get above the low 70s.

let it sit in the primary and bulk condition for a couple of months, then leave it in bottles for at least six months.

the last few i've made have come out wonderfully. belgian pales and dubbels and a few strong ales. i have a dark strong ale currently in secondary and it tastes so clean it will KICK YOUR ASS. it's boozy, but so clean...no hot alcohols, nice light esters and very tasty. i almost want to keg it, if i didn't think i would kill myself

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 07-30-2008, 11:53 PM   #15
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
i have a little experience with this now and i would say: ALL THE ABOVE!

let it sit in the primary for a couple of months, rousing it for the first couple of weeks to keep the yeast going. if you're using malt extract and sugar, you could add that later in the fermentation...stepping it up every few days or every week or so.

let it ferment low, 65°F or so, then let it raise slowly near the end of fermentation. i would never let it get above the low 70s.

let it sit in the primary and bulk condition for a couple of months, then leave it in bottles for at least six months.

the last few i've made have come out wonderfully. belgian pales and dubbels and a few strong ales. i have a dark strong ale currently in secondary and it tastes so clean it will KICK YOUR ASS. it's boozy, but so clean...no hot alcohols, nice light esters and very tasty. i almost want to keg it, if i didn't think i would kill myself

I'm glad you came on to help!!!!

Having only gone through half of the Global Beer Network Belgian Six pack I have a big fear that I'm going to want to Brew the next one in the pack as well...it's A dark Strong....Gulden Draak....

(I may need your strong dark recipe!)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-16-2008, 04:53 AM   #16
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 11 Posts

Bump and +1. You have found more than I have(google gets me nowhere) and these are definitely ones to take up some of my keg space! So have you decided if its to be recipe 1 or 3? Lets keep this thread going.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #17
Revvy

Recipes 

Oh good, I'd like to keep this thread alive to and see if any fresh eyes pop in...this is on top of my to brew list right after I do the pumpkin partigyle next week....

I "Think" it's number one...I'm not positive, but that's the one I'm going to brew. Even if it's not close to Piraat, it still sounds good...

3 looks good too, the thing that threw me is the honey and the acciduated malt...I wish I could find some confirmation on whether or not Piraat uses honey as opposed to candi sugar...

I think I've gotten to be a good "beer detective" lately, being able to piece recipes together from the scant info on the web, like IBU, ABV,OG, and SRM's...but except for the ABV, I can't find that info for piraat anywhere.

Last edited by Revvy; 08-16-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #18
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

From what I have learned candi sugar has little difference to table sugar and most brewers use table sugar if the recipe calls for candi. Honey would probably help add to the complexity, especially if used as a late addition. I plan on using honey instead of sugar in the 9-9-09 barleywine hoping for the extra bit of complexity. Unfortunately my palette is not all that refined yet and I'm not sure if I will even notice it.

Edit: That first one doesn't have a lot of info. It looks like a 6 gall? batch? Since secondary fermentation is used, I assume that is what the DME is for, but wonder if this is for carbonation also or just to raise the ABV. Should the kegs be shaken a couple times during secondary fermentation to rouse the yeast.

planning- Cru?

Last edited by beerthirty; 08-16-2008 at 03:39 PM.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #19
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

make some pure invert sugar. it really adds nice clean booze. belgian dark strong ale is almost ready to bottle. my next belgian will probably be something akin to piraat so maybe i'll try a clone. piraat is definitely one of my favorite beers.

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 08-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #20
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

Death, I bought the silicone mat to make invert, then found that many say that table works just as well. Do you think that invert does something that table does not? Doesn't table invert in the boil anyway?

planning- Cru?

Quick Reply