Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pig's Feet in beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 01:36 AM   #1
rtbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Pig's Feet in beer

Hello,

A friend of mine has an annual dinner in which all aspects must incorporate the pig and I have been challenged to brew a beer using pig's feet!

I can find very little info on effects of temperature and cooking time so here is the thought process I have so far just to get ideas started. I initially thought maybe I would just add them to the last 10 min of the boil for some flavor and to sanitize then rack off them into the fermentor. I am not thinking this would contribute very little flavor and the temperature might be too high and create some harsh flavors.

I am now thinking I have a sidepot simmering with the pig's feet for anywhere from 1 to 3 hours to slow cook them as they should be cooked for food preparation then move the contents of that side pot into the last 5-10 min of the boil. As to whether I will add the water and the pig's feet or just the simmering water (possibly a spice or two in it as well), I am still not sure. My inclination is everything.

Last thing - I also have no experience with cooking pig's feet. What kind of textures and flavors can I expect from this ingredient?

I will take all the help I can get!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 02:04 AM   #2
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 244 Posts

I wouldn't use pork in a beer, but if I had to it would be bacon.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:13 AM   #3
windbreaker123
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If they are pickled you won't like it. Smoked will be something like ham hocks. If you don't know the ingredients I wouldn't try. Easier way would be to make a smoke beer and back flavor with bacon.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:15 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Sounds like time to make a batch of Porkfelwien?!!!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/apfe...on-meat-56475/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/why-...ferment-61320/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/meat-beer-76867/

And it's very own myspace page.

MySpace.com - Porkfelwein - 31 - Male - ROYAL OAK, Michigan - www.myspace.com/porkfelwein

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-25-2011, 02:24 AM   #5
windbreaker123
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

lol

Quick Reply