The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pick Axe Blonde attempt- need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Pick Axe Blonde attempt- need advice

I've been brewing extract attempts at the Keewenaw Pick Axe Blonde and want to try to get this more perfected. What I know is that it's a single malt. I emailed the brewer a while back and he said to use Perle for bittering and a Saaz finish. The can says that it's kissed with hops.

I'm thinking about the following

10.5 lbs 2 row pale (mashed around 150 degrees)

.75 oz Perle at 60 min
.25 oz Saaz at flameout

For the yeast, I'm battling between Safale 04 or Safeale 05. I'm thinking that the 04 might lend some fruity esters, which might make this closer to the real thing.

For those of you who want to see my first attempt at extract on this...

http://hopville.com/recipe/1257005

http://www.keweenawbrewing.com/portf...5/#prettyPhoto

"I enjoy a pint of beer each night for its health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves." -unknown

Primary: None
Kegged: American Wheat, Sierra Nevada clone, American Amber, ESB, Hoppy blonde, Pliney the Toddler, and Simcoe IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Nobody interested in taking this one on? Where are all the Michiganders? Anyway, I might brew this up over the weekend.

"I enjoy a pint of beer each night for its health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves." -unknown

Primary: None
Kegged: American Wheat, Sierra Nevada clone, American Amber, ESB, Hoppy blonde, Pliney the Toddler, and Simcoe IPA

Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
uncle_richie
Recipes 

When you get the Widow Maker figured out let me know. That would get me a lot of points with the Mrs.

Quick Reply