Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Perfect All-grain Spring Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
two2many
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Perfect All-grain Spring Brew

I'm looking for a great spring time all grain recipe that can be fermented at room temp. This is gonna be my second all grain batch so I want something really straight forward. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

What do you like to drink/brew? That's the most important question as my idea of the perfect spring ag brew might be a double IPA and you may hate IPAs.

In general I'd say an APA is a great brew for spring or any time of year. Of course in Lakeland your spring comes a bit earlier than most and your winter is milder than most. I'm in MS, not too dissimilar, but not the same. I think an Irish Red Ale or a SMaSH would be fine.

For the Pale Ale go with ROUGHLY as I'm not running these #s:
8# 2-row
8 oz crystal 40 or 60
6 oz victory malt (optional but I like it in my IPA/APAs)
4 oz oatmeal or flaked oats

Hops:
Hop burst with C hops Cascade etc to about 35-40 IBUs by adding hops between the 25 and 10 minute mark, think 3 additions.
Dry hop with 1.5 oz of your favorite hop for 6 days.

Yeast:
US-05 or Nottingham fermented 63-66 degrees

Voila success!

Of course you could alway look in the recipe section to find something you like, there are TONS of recipes!

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

two2many Likes This 
Old 01-22-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
two2many
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Thanks! Im looking for some direction with my limitations to ale yeast. And yeah, it was a fridged 78 today so the seasons are not as well defined. I love ipa's but I have an apa in the primary. I was thinking something lite and crisp but im not sure.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1022 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by two2many View Post
I was thinking something lite and crisp but im not sure.
Light and crisp means Cream Ale for me. Here's my latest recipe for one http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Cream_Ale.html The Saphir hops are just what I had on hand, any mild/noble hop would work - I've used Hallertauer before and enjoyed it.

As for your fermentation temps, you could try putting your fermenter in a large container with water and frozen bottles to keep the temp down a little.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy
two2many Likes This 

Quick Reply