Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pectic Enzyme and Pumpkin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
johnnytaco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Pectic Enzyme and Pumpkin

Got a question for ya. I'm making a pumpkin pie porter this weekend. I am going to mash the pumpkin after roasting it a home and add some puree to the boil. I have looked at a few recipes for pumpkin beers and a few of them call for pectic enzyme. Does this make more fermentable sugars available from the pumpkin or does that just help to clear the beer? If it'll make more alcohol, I will use it, but if it's just for clarity, I'd rather skip it. The SRM for the recipe I came up with is 44 pre-pumpkin, so I doubt that a little haze will matter at all. Thanks for any help.
-JT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
BigBlueDog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pectin enzymes are used in wine making to help break down the plant material and improve extraction of flavors from the fruit, in addition to reducing haze in the finished wine. I would think roasting the pumpkin would accomplish the plant wall breakdown, so the enzyme doesn't seem necessary for that purpose. That leaves clarity, and I agree haze shouldn't be an issue for a SRM 44 beer.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
shelly_belly
Locomotive Breath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 19

It's used to minimize pectin haze (clarity) by breaking pectin into smaller molecules. Pectin tends to hold spent yeast cells, bacteria and small particles is suspension via electric charges. You can also drop the pectins by cold crashing to 28F. Pumpkin is rich in pectins.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
johnnytaco
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate your help. Do you think that the pumpkin will raise or lower the SRM?

Old 10-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
djonas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

At 44 SRM I doubt that it will get noticeably brighter! Think about dropping pumpkin into a glass of cola, or something like that.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
johnnytaco
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djonas View Post
At 44 SRM I doubt that it will get noticeably brighter! Think about dropping pumpkin into a glass of cola, or something like that.
I am a chef and have mixed pumpkin into quite a few things and it seems to lighten up, but I'm sure it's just reflecting more light because of suspended particles. I just thought I'd pick a few brains out there. I was kinda hoping that it would lighten it up a bit, being a little dark for a porter, in my opinion. I'm 3 weeks from the one year anniversary of my first brew. This weekend will be batches 62 and 63. There were 5 meads and a hard cider in there, but not too shabby if you ask me. Thanks again!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
BigBlueDog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That sounds like quite a lot of beer.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
johnnytaco
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I skipped the pectic enzyme. The wort turned out great. Very clear. Come on Yeast! It should end up at 6.7% and if the pumpkin flavor is cut in half, it'll still be a pumpkiney beer. BigBlueDog, I brew with a friend and we usually split what we make. A third of them were 10 gal batches, the rest 5. One mead was a show mead that was only a gallon, but still yummy. It is quite a lot of beer, but you have to drink a lot to be able to put more into the empties. Thanks again for everyone's help
-JT

Quick Reply