Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pecan Wood in beer!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
BonneTerre
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pecan Wood in beer!?

I unfortunately had to cut down an old Pecan Tree. I am giving the wood away to a friend who can mill wood. I kept a small amount though, only chips of the inside (no bark) for BEER!

I plan to treat it exactly like I do oak (sans any toasting). I normally peel the bark off then split the logs into staves (no bigger then a carboy mouth), then using a chop saw slice it into coin like pieces about 1/2 inch thick. I then soak them two weeks in boiled then sulfited water, then drain and repeat 3 times every two weeks or so, then i rinse the wood with boiled unsulfited water and allow them to dry in my oven (off / 120f). Then I usually toast them to 2 different levels (light/medium) in the oven.

I would love any ideas or experiences with pecan wood or any flavor thoughts maybe a "Pecan Rauchbier or Swartz, etc..."

First I plan to oak a Biere de Garde split batch with A: 4 oz pecan/B: 6oz pecan / C: 4oz Med Oak. This is a recipe I normally make with 4oz of oak should be fun to compare with the pecan. I will add it 3 weeks in (or after fermentation has stopped). And Leave it for 2 weeks at ale temp and CC at 34f for 2 weeks then rack off the wood into kegs.

Disclaimer;

I have to say that cutting down trees, splitting wood and using a chop saw are all dangerous and should only be attempted by one with trained professional experience, right!

Cheers and beers!!!! jacob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply