The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Peat Smoked Malt?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
JoCoPoboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Peat Smoked Malt?

Well I'm currently building a late winter holiday brew and Was wondering if i use 1lb of smoked peat malt would it affect the flavor to bad i don't wanna go over board with the smoke flavor or aroma but the idea of this brew is to make you feel like your drinking around the bonfire! so prehaps less or more I'm only brewing a 2 gallon batch (test Batch)

Old 11-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

From my reading that's a bit much. I've read that the peat smoked malt is much smokier than regular rauchmalt, and just a little bit is needed, especially with your batch size. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Like tennesseean 87 said, peat smoked malt is a very different beast than regular smoked malt. The peat smoked will give you more of a mossy, ashy flavor/aroma. I've used 4 lbs. of smoked malt in a Munich lager and it turned out great! It tasted a little like bacon. I would say that the max of peat smoked malt, especially in a 2 gallon batch, should be around 1/4 - 1/2 lb. Maybe you could do 2 separate batches of 2 gallons each with 1/4 lb. peat smoked in one and 1/2 lb. in the other. Make everything else the same and use the same yeast. That would give you a good idea of how much you would need for a larger batch in the future.

Cheers!

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Old 11-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
alane1
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Iv'e used peated barley in a few recipes,4 oz. per 5 gal batch is the general max.A little of this stuff goes a long way-too much and your beer will taste medicinal and may take months to mellow out.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm not sure peat smoked malt is really appropriate for any style, but a pound is going to be a LOT. Gordon Strong has a quote in his book where a guy used a full pound in a 5 gallon batch and said the beer tasted like an "open grave."

Old 11-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
VonRunkel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Different strokes for different folks. I have never used rauchmault, but I did dump 1# into a 5 gallon batch, and it has been a crowd favorite. The flavor isnt over powering, it kind of sits at the back of each gulp throwing briney mossy happiness at your taste buds.

I like the idea of doing a couple 2 gallon batches with varying degrees of peatyness. That will allow you to dial in the right amount.

The problem here is that different people have different fast criteria, and what works for me isnt necessarily going to work for others. I say cry havoc and let loose the dogs of brewsperimentation!

Old 11-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Peat malt is sort of like licking an ashtray. I like it in heavy amounts in my beer, but I think I'm an outlier that way. Some people think any is too much; then there's the guy that brewed a peated SMASH and liked it. One of my favorite brews had about 1/2 lb per gallon, but I could certainly see where not everyone would like it. If you want bonfire, you might consider Briess' Cherrywood-smoked malt or the Rauch beechwood malts, both of which are far milder. Just chew a little of each at the LHBS and see how they taste.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
nberna19
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Using around 2.5% peat smoked malt in the grain bill is the safe zone. Anything north of 5% and you're probably treading in dangerous waters

Old 11-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I, too, would recommend against peat smoked malt. Briess (cherry wood) is very good, and you'll want to use 20% for a good subtle smokiness. 10% would be barely noticeable. Weyermann (beech) is much more subtle, and 20% is hardly noticeable. In fact, 100% weyermann isn't even that smoky if you have lots of other flavors like hops and spices. BTDT.

You can open up a bag of Briess and Weyermann and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:48 AM   #10
JoCoPoboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Well here's the recipie

2# 2 row
1# honey malt
1# flaked oats
1# crystal 60