Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Peat Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 07:45 PM   #1
Mark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Peat Beer

I know this probably sounds dumb and yes I am fairly new to brewing but what the hell. You've probably heard of Heather Ale, so in my quest for wild Scottish beer, i have wondered what an infusion or extract of peat would do to a beer ( aside from the flavour - which would certainly be "different" ). Could I take a lump of peat for example and boil it up in a muslim bag and pour the extract into my wort? or would it kill everything (including me)? if it worked Id be up for a pint of Peat Ale!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2005, 08:41 PM   #2
arachnyd

Recipes 

Default scotch

My favorite scotch has a very distinct element of peat in the flavor profile. My opinion is that it would enhance the beer if you manage it with a light hand. I would suggest making a tea of the peat and using that to flavor your beer after fermentation - that way you can add it a little at a time and better control your flavor profile - and the busy yeasties won't be scrubbing your flavor and making it muddy.

Make your beer stronger than you want it because you will be diluting it a bit.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:37 PM   #3
rdlamb2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
I know this probably sounds dumb and yes I am fairly new to brewing but what the hell. You've probably heard of Heather Ale, so in my quest for wild Scottish beer, i have wondered what an infusion or extract of peat would do to a beer ( aside from the flavour - which would certainly be "different" ).

Could I take a lump of peat for example and boil it up in a muslim bag and pour the extract into my wort? or would it kill everything (including me)? if it worked Id be up for a pint of Peat Ale!
Peat Malt is malt that is smoked using peat as an agent for roasting the malted grain. It gives it a smokey flavor. You could include it in your boil and it would impart a smokey flavorer to your beer. A good example of how the peat malt tastes is in its use in Grant's Perfect Porter.

Quick Reply