Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Peanut Butter Porter W/Powdered Peanut Butter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #141
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 75

a lb of PB2, and a canistar of Hershey's cocoa powder, along with 1/2-1 lb of lactose (don't remember exactly).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #142
caioz1jp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

So i just had my mind blown. My local produce stire had small single serving pb2 packs. So first iff the regular pb is very light in taste. I can see why i only pick up a lught nuttyness and bitter. Now the chocolate pb2 is just amazing. I will be using this the next time.i brew and halving the cocoa.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:13 AM   #143
the75
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

This thread is a great read. A lot of questions about when to add the powdered PB, but for good reason. Looks like the trader joe's peanut flour was basically this: http://www.localharvest.org/peanut-flour-C14227 which is still in stock. Anyways, I'll be brewing this with another HBT brewer tomorrow & trying a few of the suggestions found here. Should be interesting. Thanks to everyone for all the input.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #144
Tuckerl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the75
This thread is a great read. A lot of questions about when to add the powdered PB, but for good reason. Looks like the trader joe's peanut flour was basically this: http://www.localharvest.org/peanut-flour-C14227 which is still in stock. Anyways, I'll be brewing this with another HBT brewer tomorrow & trying a few of the suggestions found here. Should be interesting. Thanks to everyone for all the input.
Keep us posted please!

Old 03-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #145
jnacey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cracked open my first bottle of PB Cream Stout. Used a milk stout recipe racked onto one 16oz bag of PB2 (boiled with water first) in the secondary. At bottling, I added 1oz of Watkins PB Extract into the priming sugar mix after the boil had subsided and cooled a bit.

The beer has a great PB smell and very smooth taste. Any more PB would be distracting, in my opinion. The only gripe I have is with head retention. This thing looks like a coke. My recipe had a bit of wheat in it, but I'd recommend adding some caramel/carapils/carafoam to try to improve head retention.

It's still a little green though (couldn't help but crack one open), I'll post an update in a couple of weeks if there's any improvement in head retention.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #146
dmoore714
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Awesome. Funny though... I had the opposite experience. Not enough PB flavor, and too much foam.

The choco PB stout recipe had a pound of flaked oats, and i added some flaked wheat as well. I have to let it sit for a few minutes after i pour, to let the head die down.

Didnt get as much PB flavor as i had hoped. Mine is subtle, but noticable. I may try some of the extract flavoring if i do this one again.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #147
jnacey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would say that most if not all of the flavor was from the extract added before bottling. Its hard for me to tell how much the PB2 really added -- maybe a bit of mouthfeel, but I haven't made this milk stout recipe before so that may just be from the lactose.

I'm going to pop open another bottle this weekend, I'll give an update if anything has changed.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #148
BoodyBrew
Recipes 

I just did a peanut butter porter and added 2 jars of pb2 powder and 1 oz of watkins extract during secondary fermentation. I'm nervous that I killed the beer with peanut butter because when I tried it before bottling, the pb flavor was overkill. Anyone else have this occur, and do you think it'll calm down after carbonated?

Old 09-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #149
fxdude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Last year at GABF I had 5-8 pb beers and at least three of them were delicious. I have been wanting to make a version ever since. Thanks for all the info, can't wait to try a batch myself.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #150
BeastMaster
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
a lb of PB2, and a canistar of Hershey's cocoa powder, along with 1/2-1 lb of lactose (don't remember exactly).
Is this for 5 or 10 gallons?

"I'd like to say I don't drink their beer out of principle, but the truth is, they just make crappy beer."

Quick Reply