Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Peanut Butter Porter W/Powdered Peanut Butter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #91
CTownBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I haven't brewed another batch yet. I have a lot of other recipes I want to try.

The PB aroma & flavor is still solid...not quite where it was when I got the honorable mention in the competition I entered it in when the batch was fresh. The problem I'm having is that the more my remaining bottles age, the more carbonated they have become...even had one bottle explode a few weeks ago. I'm wondering if the PB2 sediment left in the bottles has provided some extra sugars for the yeast to eat. If I crack one open & drink it right away, it almost tastes like peanut butter soda. Now when I have one, I open the bottle & let it sit in the fridge for an hour, then drink it & it tastes much better.

Also as a side note, I had the bottle that exploded sitting on a ledge in the basement because I've flooded 4 times this year already & had to empty out my wine fridge that I use for aging. I had my 2010 Firestone Walker Parabola & 2011 Deschutes Abyss right next to it. I definitely would have cried if one of those would have fallen off the ledge!

Secondary 1
: Port BA American Sour w/Raspberries
Secondary 2: Baltic Porter
Now On Tap: New Zealand IPA, Belgian Dark Strong w/Anise & Cinnamon, Imperial Red Ale
Upcoming Brews: Port BA American Sour w/Cherries, Doppelbock, Belgian Golden Strong, Peanut Butter Imperial Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #92
cameronf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

im new to brewing but is this a dark beer like guiness if so does it tast better than a guiness those are nasty but i like peanut butter and chocolate i think this might be a beer for me

Old 06-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #93
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

It is a dark beer, but it's a porter not a stout. Guiness is a dry Irish style stout that tastes gross IMO, unless you're making an Irish Car Bomb. These recipes using PB2 are 100x better! There are a quite a few on these forums that I've come across.

Secondary 1
Now On Tap: New Zealand IPA, Belgian Dark Strong w/Anise & Cinnamon, Imperial Red Ale
Upcoming Brews: Port BA American Sour w/Cherries, Doppelbock, Belgian Golden Strong, Peanut Butter Imperial Porter

Old 06-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #94
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I kegged 10-gallons of PB Porter last night. The first 5-gallon bucket was exceptional. The flavor was up front and the smell was dominant. The second 5-gallon bucket didn't get as much PB Powder (soaked in vodka) and was a bit more subtle. The first will get consumed on the 9th of July and the second will get some rest until the 28th of July. I'll have to try to remember to fill a few bottles before the parties so I can enter these into some contests as cat 23s.

For the record, I used a 1lb bag of PB Powder from Bell labs split into the two buckets after 1 week of fermentation. The powder was soaked in a considerable amount of vodka and then softened with boiled water for easy mixing. I swirled the buckets a bit to mix it in, but didn't add any additional O2.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #95
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

I just bottled my raspberry brown a few weeks ago. This weekend I might try blending a bottle of that with one of my pb stouts I have left...see if we can get a pbj sandwich flavor going.

Secondary 1

Old 06-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #96
Puckhead
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I had a pb and j beer down in from a nano brewery in Florida last week. I think I might give this a go with some grape or raspberry behind something similar

Old 06-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #97
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief_Brewing View Post

Curious about why people think that the taste is weak even with using larger quantities.

Could it be that the peanuts aren't alcohol or liquid soluble and can't be tasted when they fall out of suspension? That the flavor that remains is from the smallest of particles that were still in suspension?

Would adding the powder at the start of boil help this or would you just end up with a gooey mess at the bottom of the kettle getting scorched and ruining the whole batch?
Flavor with 2 jars is about where i would hope it would be for my tastes. It isn't overly strong however it's there. For my application i may add a third into secondary although it is deffinily very goey. Added my powdered stuff at ten minutes to the end of the boil. Worked well although i premixed with water first.....figured i wasn't going to get a homogenous mixture otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie3 View Post
Has anyone tried roasting pale malt with peanuts then discarding the peanuts and using the malt?
You would get a decent amount of oil which would help your yeasties out but kill the head on the beer./....no idea for flavor contributions though. You could always boil peanuts and try that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
I had a pb and j beer down in from a nano brewery in Florida last week. I think I might give this a go with some grape or raspberry behind something similar
Sounds awesine

Old 06-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #98
msh227
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Smuckers Natural Creamy Peanut Butter

FYI if anyones interested I just finished drinking a keg of Chocolate Oatmeal Peanut Butter Stout that I brewed using 2 jars (2lbs) of Smuckers Natural Creamy Peanut Butter. I let PB sit for a few days and gently drained off as much oil as possible before brewing. I was still worried about oil in my beer but did not run into any oil issue at all.

I'm very pleased to announce it turned out very well and I had excellent head retention. PB flavor was faint but I think it brought out a nice nutty/earthy flavor to the beer.

If I brew this again I might bump the PB up to 3-4lbs. (4 jars).

P.S. Chocolate Oatmeal Peanut Butter Stouts goes very well with Vanilla Ice Cream to make a PB Stout Float!!

-Matt

Fermenting: Air

On Tap: Irish Red Ale

outoftowndan Likes This 
Old 07-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #99
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 325 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Recipe please, MSH227?

Old 07-11-2011, 02:16 AM   #100
msh227
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here ya go:

It is an extract recipe.

1lb American Chocolate
1/2lb American black patent
1lb Rolled oats

Steep @ 155 degrees for 30 min

6lb Dark DME
1lb Amber DME
5oz Bakers chocolate

All three added at 60 min

3 gallon pre-boil volume

2lb Smuckers Natural Creamy PB, drain off excess oil (add at 15min)

Hop schedule:
1/2oz northern brewer (60 min)
1/2 oz northern brewer (45 min)
1/2 oz northern brewer (30 min)
1/2 oz northern brewer (15 min)
9.1% AA

Nottingham Ale Dry Yeast

OG - 1.064
FG - 1.016
ABV - 6.3%

7 Days prjmary
21 Days secondary
Kegged at 12 psi

Thats it, hope i didnt miss anything. Cheers!

-Matt

-Matt

Fermenting: Air

On Tap: Irish Red Ale

Quick Reply