Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Peanut Butter Porter Issues with PB2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #11
smiller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I suppose you could put them in a blender with a little bit of vodka, then let that soak for a couple of weeks to sanitize. Then you could either add it to the keg or secondary on it (probably in plastic) if you bottle. You could pour the sludge into a muslin bag over the keg or bucket and then tie the bag and rack on top of it. Of course, you would have to throw all concern about head retention to the wind at that point, but who cares if it tastes like PB cups!

Primary: Humulus Congestus

Secondary: Empty

Bottled: Downdraught Imperial Stout, Barrel-Aged Residence Time Barleywine, Sea Smoke Porter

On Deck: Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout, S'more Porter, Barrel-Aged Residence Time Barleywine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
jamursch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Thought I'd get on and summarize the end result with a few points I learned along the way.

1. Using PB2 in the boil & secondary provided very little PB flavor to my big porter (7% ABV)
2. 8 oz. of Lactose in a 5gallon batch really helps sweeten the final product but will lead to a confusing FG reading of you just rely on BeerSmith's OG values.
3. PB flavor is best achieved using the liquid extract (2 oz Watkins added to a tertiary vessel but will just go into secondary next time)

Overall results were great and well received as a sweeter Chocolate PB porter.
Hope this helps with the learning curve for others tackling a PB beer.

Jay
Home brewing whatever I feel like since 2011

Old 06-12-2013, 03:47 AM   #13
bbbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just wondering if there was any update news on the peanut butter cup porter. Willoughby Brewing on the east side makes this brew and its wonderful. What type of porter do you shoot for with this style.
I was thinking a brown porter using something like a 1272 which should leave some residuals. I'm glad you posted because i was going to go look for some PB-2, but heading over to Marc's and buying a couple.of bags of bp-cups will be alot easier. Maybe the vodka trick will help on the heax retention side. BB

Old 06-12-2013, 03:59 AM   #14
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfitzgerald View Post
i brewed a version of a peanut butter cup porter last year with PB2, doing additions about what you did. some at the end of the boil and some in the secondary before bottling, as you would dry hop a beer. i can taste it, but to me, it's not a true peanut butter flavor... it's kind of creamy and a bit off tasting, but not bad and actually as it sits in the bottle it's getting a bit better. i think the flavors are still coming together, BUT i agree, if you want a real peanut butter beer, you need to use the real stuff, skim off the oils, or do what ever needs to be done because PB2 just isn't the same. it was a good experiment, but it's not on my rebrew list
When I did a peanut butter and jelly beer I put a TON of peanuts in the mash. About 2/3 the weight of the grain in peanuts.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
dynobyte
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
When I did a peanut butter and jelly beer I put a TON of peanuts in the mash. About 2/3 the weight of the grain in peanuts.
What level of peanut flavor did you get by doing this?

Quick Reply