Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > PB2 Reese's Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default PB2 Reese's Stout

So, after searching the threads for good info on using powdered peanut butter in my beer, I wasn't able to come up with any really good results. I found a few threads that gave me a little inspiration, but decided to take things into my own hands. Here's my recipe... It's an Imperial Reese's Stout. It's a 6 gallon batch to make up for trub loss due to the PB2 and Chocolate. Around 9%abv.

15lbs. - UK Pale Malt
1.25lbs. - Crystal 60L
1.00lbs. - Crystal 40L
0.75lbs. - Chocolate Malt
0.50lbs. - Roasted Barley
0.40lbs. - Black Patent
0.50lbs. - Flaked Oats
0.50lbs. - Malto Dextrine (20min)
1oz. - Northern Brewer (60)
1oz. - Northern Brewer (20)
6.5oz. - PB2 Chocolate (45)
6.5oz. - PB2 (45)
6.5oz. - PB2 Chocolate (10)
6.5oz. - PB2 (10)
12oz. - Girardelli Powdered Baker's Chocolate (10)
2 - 11gram packs of US-05

Transferring it to the fermenter, there was an incredible chocolate flavor, with a little peanut butter aftertaste. I mashed at 154F for 1hour.

I'm now soaking an additional 6.5oz of each PB2 in enough 3 Olives Chocolate Vodka to get a creamy texture (about 1/4 of a bottle). After primary is complete, I'll be transferring the beer to secondary for 3 weeks on top of the additional PB2. I'm hoping the vodka will bring out the flavor a bit.

I'll continue to post updates on this as I go. Hopefully I'll get a good idea of what needs to be done with PB2 to make a good reese's beer.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2010, 04:53 AM   #2
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

What is PB2? Sounds interesting.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:24 AM   #3
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

PB2 is a powdered peanut butter from Bellplantation.com

I didn't want to go through the two month process of deoiling a peanut butter, so I opted for the powdered version. It has the oil already removed and just contains roasted peanuts, sugar, and salt.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #4
powerfreak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Very interested in how this comes out. Keep us posted.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
arover
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
PB2 is a powdered peanut butter from Bellplantation.com

I didn't want to go through the two month process of deoiling a peanut butter, so I opted for the powdered version. It has the oil already removed and just contains roasted peanuts, sugar, and salt.
That's interesting. So no preservatives? You said you had a chocolate one too, what source of chocolate do they use? I wonder how it's going to taste after the yeast has chewed up some of that sugar. I would consider maybe opting out with that if the chocolate is too artificial and adding some extra cocoa powder.

Also with your times, I don't think adding the powder at 45 will do much as I'm assuming you won't get much bitterness from the powder, you'll just drive off the volatile compounds. I wouldn't even do 10 minute additions, I'd go for <5 to preserve as much as possible.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arover View Post
That's interesting. So no preservatives? You said you had a chocolate one too, what source of chocolate do they use? I wonder how it's going to taste after the yeast has chewed up some of that sugar. I would consider maybe opting out with that if the chocolate is too artificial and adding some extra cocoa powder.

Also with your times, I don't think adding the powder at 45 will do much as I'm assuming you won't get much bitterness from the powder, you'll just drive off the volatile compounds. I wouldn't even do 10 minute additions, I'd go for <5 to preserve as much as possible.
This was mentioned in another thread. I would usually never add it before the last 5 minutes of the boil, but I'm experimenting. Another person used 4 jars of this stuff in the last 5 minutes and couldn't even taste it come bottling time. So... I'm trying to see if there's some potential for peanut butter when used in longer boils. I had a discussion about it with a somewhat local brewery and the brewer there seemed to think the 45 minute addition would work out.

As for the chocolate PB2, I'm not sure of they're source. It just says it has cocoa in it on the ingredients list. I've tasted it, and it's not overly chocolatey, so you could probably do without it.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just updated my PB Powder stout thread with notes from my sample last night.

I'll be curious to see how your chocolate flavoring turns out. I'm a little disappointed that mine tastes too much like a deep, dark chocolate and not milky like I was hoping for. I guess I need to use a lot more lactose?

Old 10-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Yeah, lactose is the key for chocolate beers, but I wasn't sure how it would affect the peanut butter flavor, so I left it out of mine. I'll update this thread when I transfer mine to secondary in a week or so.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 11-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
psutimmah
Recipes 

??? wondering how its going.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:47 AM   #10
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Transferred to the keg today. Will pull the first pint next week sometime. The transfer sample was once again stellar. A good friend from Australia who also brews is visiting and she loved it. She thought it had a perfect balance between peanut butter and chocolate. But then again, they don't have reeses down there...

Quick Reply