Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Patagonian Hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
beerfresh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Patagonian Hops?

My wife went to "Crafty Ladies" here in Denver last night and Upslope presented their portfolio. They showed off their "Patagonian Hops" and left about 8oz behind which my wife grabbed. Anyone have any info on them so I can play around? Thinking of doing a SMaSH 1/2 batch with them this weekend and curious which direction to go in.

I will post results when I have them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Hi there I live in Spain but I am from Argentina. "Patagonian hops" it´s very generic. What I can tell you about the production there is that is based mostly in the city of "El bolson" which haves quite some history in hop growing. The variey has to be Cascade (almost 95% of the production there is cascade) and the ones that I´ve tried are very similar to american cascade, the only difference that I can tell it´s that they also work very good for bittering. I´ve tried some american cascade for bittering and wasn´t very pleased with the results. Just think about regular cascade (with a little less grapefruit). I hope this helps and I apologize for my english (please feel free to correct me).

"These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." -Groucho Marx-

Old 04-29-2012, 03:11 AM   #3
beerfresh
Recipes 

Default Thanks

Thank you so much, that helps a lot I will definitely experiment with a SMaSH to gauge the bitterness profile (wife grabbed 8 oz).

Old 04-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
Looper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm an american that lived in El Bolson for a stint, and loved it. The different cervezas artesenales at La Feria every summer are what got me hooked on craft beer. I'd love to get my hands on some patagonian malt/hops.. Man, I miss that place..

Old 04-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 156

My lhbs sells argentine cascades, I am sure there are other sources. They claimthey are nothing like US hops,so I don't know if they are the same thing.
http://www.butlerwinery.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=1827231.14405*WP79b3&product=Hop s_Pellet

Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper
I'm an american that lived in El Bolson for a stint, and loved it. The different cervezas artesenales at La Feria every summer are what got me hooked on craft beer. I'd love to get my hands on some patagonian malt/hops.. Man, I miss that place..
El bolsón its truly a magical place

"These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." -Groucho Marx-

Quick Reply