Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Passion tea in my hefe weizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #1
aaronbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Passion tea in my hefe weizen

I have ordered a hefe weizen and had a crazy idea to use some passion tea for some fruit flavor. I work at starbucks, so I am able to get a lot of tea for cheap. I was wondering if anyone has any advise, warnings, or have done something like this already. I would love any information that you have to share!

I cant stop buying supplies! It's a sickness!!!! First the beginner supplies, then some upgrades, then a fermentation chamber, and now all grain! When will it stop?

Reason: Spelling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I'm all for experimenting, just don't call it a hefeweizen if you do it, and be prepared to hate it, because you just might. On the other hand, you might dig it. I haven't done such a thing so I can't predict the outcome, but I guess one way to find out is by making it. Good luck.

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 02-13-2009, 03:15 AM   #3
aaronbeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

why cant you call in hefeweizen? isnt it the same as adding extract like raspberry?

I cant stop buying supplies! It's a sickness!!!! First the beginner supplies, then some upgrades, then a fermentation chamber, and now all grain! When will it stop?

Old 02-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
aaronbeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

also, i was wondering when to add it to the wort, or secondary?

Old 02-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
HairyDogBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would steep a small amount of tea in a finished beer.
Something you would want to dump anyway (Bud, Miller, Coors).
If that turns out OK, then steal a gallon from your hefe into a separate secondary and add your tea.
Wait a week and then bottle it and see what happens.
When you're in uncharted territory, try to minimize the risk.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
malc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have made what we call a tea beer. It was a light ale recipe. After the boil we steeped the tea(quite a bit of Constant Comment) for something like 5 minutes(like brewing a strong cup.) It turned out great. It has a great aroma, but the taste of the tea doesn't stand out too much. I would go ahead and try it.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 4

We use tea in our "Summer Pilsner", what we do is steep the bags in our strike water and pour it all in the tun when ready bags and all, doesn't affect the runoff whatsoever. In other words the tea "flavor" is in the wort from beginning to finish. I'm not sure what passion tea has in it but we use Earl Grey. It is a fine beer.

Vern

18gal Primary: Mace Barleywine
6gal Primary: 1st wort hop small beer (test)
6gal secondary: Pastime Pilsner (Earl Grey)
On Deck: Scotch Ale, Rabbit Brush Wheat? More Pine Stout!
Bottled and drinking: Pine Stout, CPA (Colorado Pale Ale), Sage Mead.
Bottled and not drinking: Corn Stalk…..Beer? Poison? Brat Boil? 2007 vintage.
Reserve: Monkey Sauce Porter (Banana bread porter), Pine Stout, CPA, Sage Mead, Moscato Allegro.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

The Tied House brewpub in Mountain View, CA makes a passion pale. It's been 14 years since we moved away, but I vividly remember that beer and have always had it in the back of my mind to try and brew it. They say it is based off their lager-like golden ale with passionfruit added. Hmmmmm.... maybe a passionfruit tea would be the way to go. Or maybe I could find some passion fruit essence.

At the bottom of the page

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 02-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronbeer View Post
I have ordered a hefe weizen and had a crazy idea to use some passion tea for some fruit flavor. I work at starbucks, so I am able to get a lot of tea for cheap. I was wondering if anyone has any advise, warnings, or have done something like this already. I would love any information that you have to share!
Here is my suggestion (speaking from experience):

Use the tea bag with the finished beer, i.e. let it steep in about 4 oz of beer, remove the teabag, and pour the remaining 8 oz on top of that. I often do this with BMC beers to add some character to them, and have also done it with homebrew from time to time (especially witbier, which is a wonderful blending beer).

If you do decide to use the tea in the boil or fermentation, I would be very conservative. When I do that, I usually only use 1-2 teabags for the whole batch to give it just a hint of added complexity. It's very easy to overpower the batch with tea flavor.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronbeer View Post
why cant you call in hefeweizen? isnt it the same as adding extract like raspberry?
I'm a purist I suppose. Hefe's were never originally made with passion tea, so if you do this it would cease to be a hefe. If you were to enter this brew in a competition as a hefeweizen they would take one drink and tell you to take a hike. A true hefeweizen is made with wheat malt, barley malt, German noble hops, German wheat ale yeast and water. That's about it.

IMO, if you want to experiment with passion tea, make a small batch of an American wheat or light ale. Hefe's have a very distinct banana and clove flavor and aroma created by the yeast. This may or may not blend well with the passion tea. Start small, with a basic ale recipe so you can really judge what the tea is contributing to the beer. If you really dig it, move on to the next step. If not, you'll still have a perfectly good batch of hefeweizen to enjoy. Just my opinion, that's all.
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Quick Reply