Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Partial Mash - Do I have enough enzymes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
secinarot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Partial Mash - Do I have enough enzymes?

I am getting ready for my first partial mash recipe - Alaskan Smoked Porter clone. I converted the recipe from All Grain to partial mash using BeerSmith. To further complicate things I also reduced it to a small batch. In the process of tweaking the recipe, I forgot about the need to have some base malts in your partial mash to add extra enzymes to convert some of the other malts. This is the composition of my mash:

9.0 oz Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 9.85 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.80 %
6.0 oz Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.60 %
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.40 %
4.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.40 %

As you can see I don't have any 2 row in there. Will the Smoked Rauch and Munich malts convert OK?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 88

You should be ok, the rauch and Munich have enough enzymes to convert themselves, and the rest of the grains don’t need conversion. The enzymes will be a bit dilute, so I would make sure to hold it at Sacch temps for the full 60 minutes. I would also consider adding some chalk or baking soda so the pH doesn’t drop too low, as a percentage of the mash you have a lot dark malt/grain.

Should be tasty, good luck.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 12-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
secinarot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
...make sure to hold it at Sacch temps for the full 60 minutes. I would also consider adding some chalk or baking soda so the pH doesn’t drop too low, as a percentage of the mash you have a lot dark malt/grain.

Should be tasty, good luck.
Oldsock, what does "Sacch" temperature mean? Also, I am mashing with 2.5 qts of water (according to BeerSmith calculation). How much baking soda should I add to that? I don't have a pH tester. Is that regular Arm & Hammer that I would use?

Old 12-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Bjornbrewer
Recipes 

Location: St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

saccharification temperature...aka mash temperature (i.e. 154°F)

Old 12-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by secinarot View Post
How much baking soda should I add to that? I don't have a pH tester. Is that regular Arm & Hammer that I would use?
Regular A & H is what I use, but the amount will depend on your water. If you aren't sure about your water content and don't have any way to test the pH, I would just skip it, your beer will still be fine.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Quick Reply