Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pannepot (Old Fisherman's Ale) Clone Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #141
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oophaga View Post
CSI any reviews on your latest version on the website? I am looking to brew that soon, and curious if there is anything you have to say about the recipe.

thanks,

Ryan
We switched over to the Pannepot GR (Gran Reserva) about a year ago. Tall_Yotie has some great advice on the OFA (Pannepot Old Fisherman's Ale).

We've been trialing the GR of late with good results. The key to both Pannepot's is a balanced heavy mouth-feel with a comparatively sweet palate, that is, for a high gravity ale. The GR is aged on light oak, (fairly sure it is on old Chardonnay barrels, not old whisky barrels). This is a detail not found in our currently posted PGR recipe (yet). I'll try to get the updates out soon.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #142
Oophaga
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Awesome, the primary difference between the GR and the regular is the oak aging correct? So if I wanted to take a stab at he base recipe would you say the one on the site is fairly close? Any changes you'd recommend? I tend to trust your input . The Chimay clone is still getting so much more improvement as it ages. Luckily I still have plenty to see how it goes, I exhibited my best restraint yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #143
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oophaga View Post
Awesome, the primary difference between the GR and the regular is the oak aging correct? So if I wanted to take a stab at he base recipe would you say the one on the site is fairly close? Any changes you'd recommend? I tend to trust your input . The Chimay clone is still getting so much more improvement as it ages. Luckily I still have plenty to see how it goes, I exhibited my best restraint yet.
Yes, the base GR recipe on the site is very good. I would try and keep the temp rise to high krausen at or under 72F. (Using 400+ billion cells in high gravity wort will create a lot of metabolic heat).

A lightly toasted white oak soaked and dried (repeatedly) a few days in and out of a dry chardonnay will help to replicate a little of the barrel aging.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #144
chrisdb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

subscibed to this one...
I was wondering what to do with T-58

Old 09-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #145
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdb View Post
subscibed to this one...
T-58 is the Chimay strain, same as wlp 500 or wy1214.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #146
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
subscibed to this one...
T-58 is the yeast claimed to be in use by De Struise so this is the yeast used in this clone. The Fermentis recommendations for sterile creaming and pitching are on the Fermentis site (if I understood the question correctly).

It may be interesting to test another similar Belgian strain on the GR or OFA. T-58 currently falls somewhere between WLP500 and WLP550 (phenolic/spicy). T-58 was originally claimed to have been taken from the Chimay strain, (very possible). It is currently a bit too removed in ester profile to match the Chimay yeast profile...possibly due to natural variation over time.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #147
chrisdb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

thanks..
I sometimes want to brew on the spur of the moment and dry yeast makes that more possible. If T-58 works well enough for high gravity belgian ales I could keep some on hand for a spontaneous brew day.
My LHBS has the CSI D-45 and D-90 on the shelf, but has to order the D180 for me.
I like to buy in bulk when I can but we weren't sure about the shelf life of an opened 50# container of syrup. Any thoughts or suggestions on shelf life and storage would be useful, as would a retail package that was somewhere in between the 1# and the 50#....maybe something in the 10# range.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #148
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
thanks..
I sometimes want to brew on the spur of the moment and dry yeast makes that more possible. If T-58 works well enough for high gravity belgian ales I could keep some on hand for a spontaneous brew day.
My LHBS has the CSI D-45 and D-90 on the shelf, but has to order the D180 for me.
I like to buy in bulk when I can but we weren't sure about the shelf life of an opened 50# container of syrup. Any thoughts or suggestions on shelf life and storage would be useful, as would a retail package that was somewhere in between the 1# and the 50#....maybe something in the 10# range.
Great suggestions. The 50# pails have a shelf life of 6 months at room temp. If you're not a craft brewer you can break it up into 5 (1 gal) containers and freeze them. You can keep it in the freezer and it will last for over a 1 year. The syrup will rise in viscosity but will not freeze.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #149
rconnoll
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hey y'all,

I've been studying the last 100 or so posts to this thread and am brewing my own version this weekend. It is a hybrid of Yotie and CSI's recipes, along with one I found at Candi Sugars website: http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/...ation_003x.pdf

I plan to brew this Sunday and would love any pre-brew feedback before then. I'll keep the list updated on my progress!

Here is my recipe:

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50
OG: 1.098
FG: 1.026
ABV: 9.1%
IBU: 30.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Sugar
--------------
14 lbs. Belgian Pilsner
1.0 lbs. Special B
2.0 lbs. Flaked Corn
0.125 lbs. Carafa II
0.125 lbs. Chocolate Malt
0.125 lbs. Pale Chocolate Malt
1.0 lbs. D-180 Candi Syrup
1.0 lbs. Brun Foncé soft candi sugar

Hops
------
2.00 oz. Kent Goldings @ 45 min.
1.00 oz. Hallertau @ 15 min.

Spice Tea in 8oz water, 2 min boil, added to fermenter at yeast pitching
--------
3.00 gm Coriander Seed
5.00 gm Fresh Orange Zest
1.00 gm Cinnamon
3.00 gm FRESH Thyme (increased for fresh herbs and to preserve flavor longterm)

Yeast
-----
T-58

Mash Schedule
-------------
90 min @ 156F
1.5 qt/lb; 6.52 gallons approx
2.78 gallons approx for sparging @170

Fermentation Schedule
-------------
Pitch at 65F
65-70 F, 4-5 day ramp
Rack to secondary, 65° F, 2 weeks
50° F, 6 weeks
Bottle
Condition cold for 2 months

Old 10-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #150
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Looks good to me! Really the thing I needed to change was the heaviness of the beer. It came out in the end far more on the cherry notes than I wanted, though is still very delicious. I see you are in Redwood City; I am in San Jose / Campbell area, once you have then ready want to swap a bottle to compare note?

Quick Reply