Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pannepot (Old Fisherman's Ale) Clone Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #131
Tall_Yotie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Looks good, let us know how it goes!

I am gong to brew this up again very soon, and I am looking at reducing my pilsner malt and upping the flaked maize as the body of my version is a bit heavy for the actual beer. Otherwise the taste seems pretty solid. And it is damned tasty as is, so not planning on making many more changes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #132
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Subscribing

Old 11-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #133
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I took a small sample today. SG is 3.5P (assuming dodgy refractometer corrections are correct) which translates to 83% attenuation with the WLP670 from the 20.9P OG a month ago. A pellicle never formed, but I had purged the carboy with CO2 and I've left it alone until today. The high attenuation gives me confidence the Brett in the blend has been at work.

It's the color of cola. Very clear. The aroma is of sweet wort with some alcohol; reminds me a bit of port, but lacking any fruit. The flavor is complex. I only had about a 1.5 ounce sample, so I couldn't ruminate on it too much. I'll admit to not being good with taste descriptors. The mouthfeel is a bit slick or oily in the mid-tongue, but then quickly finishes relatively dry inviting a follow-up (unfortunately I only had 3 stingy sips worth). If someone had given me a glass, I would have been adamant that rye was involved due to the spiciness and mouthfeel. I don't think anyone could identify the herbs or spices; none stand out. There is a warming heat to it, balanced - not burning. Currently there is no funkiness from the Brett. Any flavor contribution from it is melding nicely with the rest. Taste again draws more connection to a fortified wine like port or sherry than to beer. I have a hard time imagining it cool or carb'd. I think I'd like it as is in a snifter, but I'll follow through with the rest. I'm trying to get a case empty Belgian 330mL bottles from a local Belgian themed brasserie to bottle it up. I'd definitely drink it now, but I'll also try to meter my consumption and only have one or two a month to make it last through the year. It's a snifter drink.

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #134
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Quaker, thanks for the update.

I noticed as well that the spices really didn't come through for me. I am going to brew this again very shortly (this week), and looking at it two ways; cut the spices as it doesn't seem to add anything, or add more to get them to come through. For me the body needed a bit more fullness to calm the alcohol and sweetness.

Which recipe variant did you use?

Old 11-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #135
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Recipe is just a few posts back.

Leaving spices out might be interesting and quite safe. You could easily make a tea afterwards and add it in if you it noticeably missing in the flavor.

I feel it adds something, it's just not an obvious flavor.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #136
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

So I am going to brew this beer this upcoming weekend. My thoughts on changing my original recipe is to double all the specialty grains (more intense flavors, better body). Same spices. The Flaked Maize is supposed to give a lighter body, so not certain if I want to up that as body is one if the issues.

My wife like the current beer, but it is a bit too sweet for me to enjoy. Flavor is good, but is almost sickeningly sweet for me. Maybe the bigger body would help.

Thoughts on deviating from the base grains to fix the body issue? Carapils perhaps?

Old 11-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #137
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I think adding more body would make it even more cloying, as opposed to coming into balance with the sweetness. I think you'd want to dry it out more, so doubling the corn with the others may be the right direction. Ignoring your doubling the specialty plan, I would simply try to boost attenuation by lowering the mash temp and adding the candi sugar late in fermentation.

Without looking back through the thread, I think I recall the two of you original brewers used different yeast quantities; 2 packs vs 4 packs. If you had used the lower amount, upping the pitch rate may also help.

Mine is definitely not cloying due to the Brett dropping the FG.

My 2 cents.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #138
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2187 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 2169

Anyone still working on nailing this one? Had my first Pannepot last weekend, 2011 vintage. Makes Rochefort 10 seem like a mediocre beer.

Ordering Bramling Cross, Hallertau MF, and D-180 today. Need some coffee malt and some t-58 from my LHBS and I should have everything. First attempt at a clone and looking forward to having an excuse to buy more Pannepot. I got the bottle I had in Ohio and I'm hoping my friend who lives there will get the other 3 or 4 the store had on the shelf for me. At $7.50 a bottle, I'll be living large if I can make 5 gallons of similar beer for under $40.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 02-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #139
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Recently did another batch, hit my numbers. My wife likes it quite a bit, but it lacks the darkness/thickness from the real deal. Close, but not quite there. I think the spices are a bit strong in my version though. FG is fine if a little high, it just has a bit of sharpness from the spices and alcohol that play off of each other. Still damned tasty, just not quite what I would call a Panneopt. I am thinking of adjusting up the percentage of the specialty grains to amplify those flavors.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #140
Oophaga
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 203

CSI any reviews on your latest version on the website? I am looking to brew that soon, and curious if there is anything you have to say about the recipe.

thanks,

Ryan

Quick Reply