Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pannepot (Old Fisherman's Ale) Clone Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #101
Tall_Yotie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Would be great to see how your turn out Saq! Understandable on the delays of course.

Next weekend I hope to bottle. My apartment is hot though, so concerned about storing it for the week before I can bring it to somewhere cooler (parent's house in cooler region). I will have one and a half months bottle conditioning before the local competition, hopefully it will be awesome by then!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 AM   #102
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Update.

Bottled the brew, FG ended up at 1.030.

From the hydrometer sample, it tastes absolutely amazing.

Getting on the aroma side young cherry, like the red/white variety. The thyme is apparent (subtly) on the nose as well. For flavor, there is a note of coriander and orange, but it is blended so it is part of the beer and not separate notes. The cinnamon is not very noticeable, and I am uncertain if we (my wife and I) can taste it or we are just looking for it too hard.

I could drink this right now (enjoying the hydrometer sample slowly), just needs carbonation. Can't wait to see how this ages.

Bottles are in suspended animation (in the fridge) until I can transfer them next weekend to a place with cooler temperatures. I would hate to cook these after so much effort.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #103
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Entered this at the Santa Cruz County Fair. 39.5 point, Blue Ribbon, best of flight, and took 6th place in the Best Of Show face off!

As it didn't have the thickness of a real Pannepot I entered it as a Specialty Belgian; Belg Dark Strong with coriander orange peel and sage. Notes were that the sage was not apparent (it was subtle so easy to miss), little low on carb (my bad) and mainly that the body was a bit light for the style. Purely the body lightness was what kept it from winning BoS according to the judges.

So, next time I up the sage and cinnamon and mess with the proportions of the grains; talked to the BoS and they said it was big enough ( amazed at the ABV with how it read for alcohol), so just need to modify, no add.

Long story short; judge said the term that kept coming up when tasting in it's flight was "delicious", it just needed to have more body to it's style.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:01 AM   #104
jcojr72
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Anyone thinking of giving this clone another shot? Seems like Tall_Yotie and CSI had great results with the one spot for improvement being the body. CSI, did you ever rebrew with higher mash temps or a double decoction?

I am thinking of trying this brew this weekend. In an attempt to increase the body of the beer I was thinking of mashing a bit higher, and considering adding some flaked oats or barley. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:09 AM   #105
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcojr72 View Post
Anyone thinking of giving this clone another shot? Seems like Tall_Yotie and CSI had great results with the one spot for improvement being the body. CSI, did you ever rebrew with higher mash temps or a double decoction?

I am thinking of trying this brew this weekend. In an attempt to increase the body of the beer I was thinking of mashing a bit higher, and considering adding some flaked oats or barley. Any thoughts?

Cheers.
I was just talking to my wife about how we should brew this one up again. I wouldn't recommend a higher mash temperature, as I only got down to a 1.028 FG.

I have little familiarity with the advantages of a decoction mash (other than that there are a great deal of debate), but seems it does lend to a better body.

Keeping true to the beer I would not go for the oats/barley as it is not in the listed ingredients. However, if you can up the body without messing with the flavor, then go for it.

I was just enjoying a glass of this with the wife. It is an AMAZING beer, so tasty with so many things going on (well balanced though), and has scored well, but the body is the last thing needed. I am thinking I am going to brew it exactly the same, but with a decoction mash.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #106
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcojr72 View Post

Cheers.
We're on variation 3 of this brew. 2 and 3 are still racked. We did up the flaked maize to 1 lb from a previously smaller weight. Our first was very flavorful and is just now losing some heat in bottle conditioning but lacked the body of a genuine Pannepot. We did double decoct on the 3rd variation so we're hoping to retain some of the polysach's and up the body.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #107
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
We're on variation 3 of this brew. 2 and 3 are still racked. We did up the flaked maize to 1 lb from a previously smaller weight. Our first was very flavorful and is just now losing some heat in bottle conditioning but lacked the body of a genuine Pannepot. We did double decoct on the 3rd variation so we're hoping to retain some of the polysach's and up the body.
I am getting the same regarding the heat loss, which is a step in the right direction.

How are variation 2 and 3 fairing at this time compared to how v1 was doing at the same time? Or is it too early to tell?

Old 10-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #108
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Yotie View Post
I am getting the same regarding the heat loss, which is a step in the right direction.

How are variation 2 and 3 fairing at this time compared to how v1 was doing at the same time? Or is it too early to tell?
Good question. Batch #2 From primary to secondary had an improvement in body over #1. The chilled wort from #3 was significantly heavier in body but this was unfermented so we don't know how it will fare yet. We'll report in the next few weeks when we get some time.

What was your carb pitch rate, (if any)? On #1 we pitched 11g of T-58 in our first batch, (possibly too aggressive).

Old 10-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #109
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

For bottling I did not add anymore yeast. Carbed up just fine too, has gotten good remarks on it. If I can avoid adding yeast at bottling I will.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #110
jcojr72
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Brewing this right now. I decided to use .6 lbs of flaked oats in lieu of the flaked maize, and kept the 156 mash temp (single infusion). I understand that per Struisse flaked maize is part of the recipe, but doesn't flaked maize reduce the body of a beer? Anyhow, really looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. Thanks for all the research and posts in this thread!

Quick Reply