palo santo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icu812

Reaction score
anyone have a good source for purchasing wood sticks/chips for brewing? i'm looking for some palo santo wood for a very interesting recipe. :mug:

I got some via Ebay UK, so you could try the US site. Apparently new-agey folk use palo santo as incense, so you may have more luck going down that route than going via brew suppliers.

I don't know where you buy the wood, but we saw the Palo Santo trees in South America. Pretty strong smell, so a little probably goes a long way.

i have not found a place that sells this wood specifically for brewing. although i have found several places that sell palo santo for incense making. do you think this seems like a safe route? it's selling for $5.00 an oz, and i need 20! i just want to make sure i'm getting the right thing.

I would send an Email to Dogfishhead and see if they will send you some or if they can tell you where they source it. That beer is awesome, I hope your version turns out!

Sam sent his friend down to South America himself and had him pick out the trees, commission the saw mill... etc.

From the New Yorker Article:
And so, a year later, Calagione sent Gasparine back to Paraguay with an order for forty-four hundred board feet of palo santo. “I told him to get a ****load,” he remembers. “We were going to build the biggest wooden barrel since the days of Prohibition.”

Gasparine, by then, had begun to have second thoughts. No lumbermill he knew had ever cut so much palo santo, and he wasn’t sure that any could. Bulnesia sarmientoi is a weedy, willowy tree, sometimes called ironwood. It’s difficult to get large boards out of it, and even small ones can dull a saw blade. Wood experts rate a species’ hardness on the Janka scale—a measure of how many pounds of force it takes to drive a half-inch steel ball halfway into a board. Yellow pine rates around seven hundred, oak twice as high. Palo santo hovers near forty-five hundred—three times as high as rock maple. It’s one of the two or three hardest woods in the world.

Gasparine eventually found some Paraguayans willing to fill the order. On one trip, they took him to the forest where the palo santo grew, a twelve-hour bus ride from Asunción followed by a half day’s drive into the wilderness. Three rough-looking millworkers had agreed to accompany him, led by a bullet-headed giant named Carlos. At one point, a herd of wild boars crossed the road, but Carlos didn’t slow down. He plowed straight over a boar and kept on going.

I now have a better appreciation for the price of that beer... I am glad it turned out do well for Sam.

There is this insanely good pub and grill very near my house on the sound. They have 43 beers on tap and not a single Macro. I just had this on tap the other day. It was served at room temp at about 3psi in a tall, 8ounce, fluted glass. It is really good but, a total sipper. At 12.5% abv and with the powerful paolo santo aroma, it gets your attention.

sorry to jump in late...... Did anyone confirm a source for palo santo sticks or chips? Does anyone have an all grain recipe for palo santos merron?

Eastside

Back