Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pale malt vs. Pilsner malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2006, 02:27 PM   #1
andre the giant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Pale malt vs. Pilsner malt

I want to brew another batch of my blueberry ale since people love it, and it's rapidly dissapearing. Here's the problem. I don't have the same ingredients, nor do I have the same yeast. And I want to brew this weekend, so there's no time to get the proper ingredients shipped in. (there is no LHBS)

The original Blueberry ale was basically a pale ale with blueberry flavor. Something like 8 lbs of pale malt, a little Munich, easy on the hops, with wy1028 london ale yeast and a shot of blueberry extract in the secondary.

All I have right now is 10 lbs of Pilsner malt, Munich malt, hops, American ale yeast and blueberrry extract.

How do you guys think the substitution of Pilsner malt for Pale malt, and American ale yeast for London ale yeast will effect the flavor of the base beer?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

After a year of sitting idle, Andre's All-Grain Brewery has reopened.
Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The Pil malt may let the color (if there is any) of the extract show a bit more since it'll be lighter in SRM but I think the change in flavour will be very suble if detecable at all.

The yeast will have a more noticable affect on the taste of the brew.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:28 AM   #3
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I agree with my buxom Canadian amigo. There might be a subtle shift in the malt flavor, but that should really be smashed by the yeast and esp. blueberry flavors.

You could always try decocting it...

Quick Reply