Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pale Ale Recipe Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
fixie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pale Ale Recipe Questions.

So I made a pale ale on Monday and had to make some substitutions to the recipe because I didn't have a few types of malt that I thought I did. Here is my grain bill.
6lbs marris otter
2lbs victory
2lbs munich
.5lbs crystal 20
.5lbs crystal 60

I was going to use 2lbs of vienna malt instead of victory, but being stupid me I order the wrong malt. I am basically wondering if this is to much victory? Am i going to have biscuit overload in my pale ale. Plus it made the beer way darker than I expected, this ale will not be so pale. Beersmith has it at 13 SRM. But hey on the bright side of things I got 80% efficiency on this batch my best yet. Thanks for any advice.

Primary: Ed Wort's Haus Pale ale, Dead Guy Clone(Yooper's) APA
Kegged: Dry Stout, Oatmeal Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Oh, dear. I fear that is too much Victory. You're over 18% of the grist with that proportion of Victory, and - in my experience - much more than 10% can easily overpower. It will be very malt-forward.

The only thing you can do is taste it when the ferment is finished. If it's too Victory-y (is that a word!?), there's little you can do except brew another Pale Ale, ferment it, and blend to taste.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 04-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6328 Times on 5484 Posts
Likes Given: 850

it will be a bit victory-y -- but I made one recently with 2lbs of Victory, and it's an interesting taste http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/magi...ale-ale-91965/

your hops and hop schedule will be key -- you'll likely need to get 50+ IBUs in order to balance out the victory-y-y

Old 04-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
fixie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
it will be a bit victory-y -- but I made one recently with 2lbs of Victory, and it's an interesting taste http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/magi...ale-ale-91965/

your hops and hop schedule will be key -- you'll likely need to get 50+ IBUs in order to balance out the victory-y-y
Beersmith got me at only 38ibu's. the beer was much bigger than I expected because I got 80% efficiency. My recipe was calculated for 72%. here is my hop schedule.
1oz cascade-60
.75 cascade-30
1oz cascade-10
.5 cascade-5
.5 cascade- flame out
1oz cascade dry hop- 7 days?

I got this recipe from some where on HBT, but just did some malty substituting . Lets hope it turns out well. My O.G. was 1.057 for 5.5 gal. We will see how she turns out.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
bradjoiner
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

add more cascades. the answer is always add more cascades.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
fixie
Recipes 

That I would bring this thread back to life. I just had this pale ale that I brewed and was pleasantly suprised. The large amount of victory malt adds a wonderful biscuit character to the beer but as Evan! says not overpowering. The only thing I would change is to have a little more bitterness to balance out all the victory.
The beer comes of as a very malt forward pale ale, I would almost call it an amber. There are wonderful biscuit and caramel tones paired with a light bitterness and wonderful citrus flavor. I dry hopped with 2oz of cascasde which added a lovely hop aroma and the late additions add a very humble hop taste. The appearance is by far my favorite part of this beer, coming in at 12.9 SRM it is a little on the dark side of things for a pale ale. That caramel 90 I put in added a great copper red tint to the beer which also came out amazingly clear despite no Irish moss. The head retention is great and the lacing is a beauty to look at. This beer reminds me of a Fat Tire with it's large biscuit character and mild bitterness.
All in all I would classify this beer as an amber, due to the dark color and low bitterness factor. The hop nose and taste are spot on, the only thing I would change would to be a little more bitter. Goes to show What the heck throw 2 pounds of victory in there an see what happens! Aren't experiments fun!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I'm a fan of victory. Probably not a fan of 2#'s in a pale ale... but I'm a fan. Just brewed an APA with 7.75# base 2 row and 1/2# each of Victory, Crystal 60, & Munich. I'm glad to hear this turned out drinkable, I thought it would be. I've had a bjcp judge tell me my 1# of victory in my IPA is too much! So from a style standpoint I wouldn't enter your bier in any contest, but from a delicious standpoint... I'd love to have a few bottles!!!

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 05-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

this is a great story and looks like a reaaly nice beer. i am toying with pale ales lately and find this recipe very interesting. i am a huge fan of victory and biscuit malts and your description sounds like a perfect amber or not-so-pale ale. good experimenting!

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 05-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6328 Times on 5484 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixie View Post
That I would bring this thread back to life. I just had this pale ale that I brewed and was pleasantly suprised. The large amount of victory malt adds a wonderful biscuit character to the beer but as Evan! says not overpowering. The only thing I would change is to have a little more bitterness to balance out all the victory.
cool - glad it worked out for you - The one I brewed turned out pretty good as well. A bit different, but definitely drinkable

Quick Reply