Pale Ale Recipe help/check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandobud16

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I made this recipe tonight, and am going to grab the ingredients tomorrow for brewday. Trying to go from grain to glass within 2 weeks, so I kept the OG low at 1.047. I've been wanting to try using biscuit malt in my recipe so I'm starting with half a pound for six gallons. Would this be an adequate amount for a toasty bready flavor to come through? Anyway, let me know what you guys think. I'm also wondering if I should use Wyeast American Ale or stick with S-05 for the fastest fermentation. Thanks guys!
:mug:

House Pale Ale - American Pale Ale
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.935 gal
Boil Size: 7.435 gal
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.047
FG: 1.012
ABV: 4.6%%
Bitterness: 41.2 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 10 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 9.500 lb Yes No 79%% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 74%% 40 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 74%% 80 L
Biscuit Malt Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 79%% 23 L
Total grain: 11.000 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Cascade 6.0%% 0.500 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 1.8
Centennial 10.5%% 0.500 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 8.0
Centennial 10.5%% 0.500 oz Boil 0.000 s Pellet 0.0
Cascade 6.0%% 0.500 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 7.1
Centennial 10.5%% 0.750 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 24.2

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-05 Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Temp Target Time
Sach rest Infusion 3.491 gal 163.849 F 152.000 F 60.000 min
Final Batch Sparge Infusion 5.374 gal 176.047 F 165.200 F 15.000 min

It looks good. I probably wouldn't use the Crystal 80, and use a full pound of Biscuit instead. With less crystal, you'll get a dryer finish which will help display that biscuit. Also, if you want to accentuate the biscuit malt, consider using Wyeast's Thames Valley or London Ale (or their White Labs equivalents). Given that you want a quick fermentation, you may want to stick with the 1056 or S-05. Use a starter to reduce any lag time and ensure proper pitch rate (which also will help you reach your target gravity quicker).

It looks good. I probably wouldn't use the Crystal 80, and use a full pound of Biscuit instead. With less crystal, you'll get a dryer finish which will help display that biscuit. Also, if you want to accentuate the biscuit malt, consider using Wyeast's Thames Valley or London Ale (or their White Labs equivalents). Given that you want a quick fermentation, you may want to stick with the 1056 or S-05. Use a starter to reduce any lag time and ensure proper pitch rate (which also will help you reach your target gravity quicker).

i would also consider switching the L 40 TO L 20 upping the amount to around 12 oz but the L 40 will be perfectly fine. your recipe looks tasty

If you want really fast fermentation and the beer to drop clear equally as fast consider using WLP002/Wyeast 1968 and mashing around 148F (this is what I do for my APA). I've had flocculation issues with the Thames Valley yeast in the past.

I agree with hercher - drop the C80 and up the Biscuit. I'd stick with a small amount of C40 like you have for a little added complexity/color.

Great thanks for all of the input!

What I did was drop the 80L and upped the biscuit to 1 lb. Also, I'm going to try using Wyeast 1968 for a faster fermentation. Plus it will be nice to try this yeast out and possibly brew an ordinary/esb soon. Thanks again!
:rockin:

Great thanks for all of the input!

What I did was drop the 80L and upped the biscuit to 1 lb. Also, I'm going to try using Wyeast 1968 for a faster fermentation. Plus it will be nice to try this yeast out and possibly brew an ordinary/esb soon. Thanks again!
:rockin:

Good choice - I love this strain! I typically pitch at about 62-63* with 1968/002 and allow it to rise to 65/66* for 2-4 days (depending on gravity) and start raising a degree per day until I hit 68* or so to keep the yeast fermenting and cleaning up. Some people recommend rousing the fermenter at that point also, but I haven't found that to be necessary. Let us know how it turns out.

Make sure you use a starter. One smack pack won't get your fermentation going fast enough, and will also leave you underpitched, possibly preventing you from hitting your target FG.

Took a sample from the fermenter for a gravity reading. I kept it at about 64-65 for the first 4 days, then gradually upped the temp to about 68-69. The beer is still quite cloudy with yeast as expected. The gravity 6 days after brewday is 1.015, that's about 72% attenuation from it's OG of 1.054. The beer has a nice light mouthfeel, with bready lightly fruity notes at first followed by an astringency and medium bitterness. There is a small amount of buttery tones from possible diacetyl still left in the brew. Overall, the beer tastes very pleasant and I believe that It will taste great after another week to clean up and with the addition of a 1 oz. mix of centennial and cascade to dry hop. I think I will be able to make my deadline! Success! Thanks for the input, and I will update next week sometime when I go to the keg.:pipe:

Latest posts

Back