Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pacman Yeast Starter Video

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 06:32 AM   #21
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Plus remember you have significantly less yeast then is in a starter pack from Wyeast or White Labs. Give it time it will grow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #22
hal simmons
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So last night around midnight I pitched the last 1/4 of a dead guy bomber into two cups of wort, stuck an airlock on and went to bed. I wake up this morning and i've got around 1/4" of yeast already in the bottom of the growler and by mid morning the airlock is burping a bit. I'm really surprised how fast it took off.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #23
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Default I've got fermentation, yo!

So yesterday I brewed a basic amber ale. While contemplating my yeast choices I decided to go ahead and use one of my batches of harvested pacman (I mean why go through the effort if I was just going to let the precious pacman sit in a mason jar, right?)

I decided to use the batch that was still sitting on my stirplate (It had been off for 24 hours to flocculate) since it was at room temp. Poured off the wort and washed the yeast with some distilled water....

I pitched it into my well oxigentated wort (using my new airstone and regulator).

And less than 12 hours later I have happy bubbling in my airlock!!!! Go baby go!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #24
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

what is the purpose of the stir plate? do you keep it on the entire first 48 hrs to keep mixing?

Old 05-15-2008, 11:55 PM   #25
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
what is the purpose of the stir plate? do you keep it on the entire first 48 hrs to keep mixing?
You don't need one, but it keeps the yeast in suspension and initially aerates the wort. I usually run mine for about 48 hours or so, usually for a few hours after I see a krausen....then I turn it off to let the yeast flocculate...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-16-2008, 12:18 AM   #26
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yep, supposedly it will double yeast production with a stir plate. Ive noticed a signifigant amount of yeast growth.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:25 AM   #27
Revvy

Recipes 

I just put my third slug of pacman on it...My first 2 batches were successful...so we'll see!

I also laid my hands on some test tuby type things from the med school, so I'll be putting some of it up on slants...(and hopefully sending Yooper some next week.)

I do wish there was as much "technical" information on Pacman as there is on other yeasts. I'd like to add it to beersmith....Plus I'd like to know about it's flavor profile....I may have enough of it soon to use it as my primary yeast....So I'd like to know more about it.

I brewed my basic haus amber ale with some, but I won't be able to compare it to my other amber for several more weeks.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #28
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wow, am I a late comer into this conversation! I've been meaning to try my hand at harvesting some pacman from Rogue bottles and, I'll admit, I've been a little intimidated by the process.

Revvy, have you been able to gather any more information regarding the profile of Pacman?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:55 PM   #29
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl300zx View Post
... When does this yeast usually go on sale and who carries it? i thought it was sold sometime in 2007.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dean View Post
IIRC Wyest is releasing this again shortly, I think I saw an ad in BYO this month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Well, a few weeks back when someone posted that they thought it was already available, I went to my LHBS, and he did some calling to his distributor...He was told that the pacman WOULD NOT be sold individually that you could now only get it in the Brewcraft Dead Guy Clone kit....
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge421 View Post
... And yes from what I understand you can only get the yeast in the Dead Guy Clone kit. ...
Sort of

BrewCraft has not placed any imposition on us to sell the pacman yeast activator packs ONLY with the Dead Guy and Brutal Bitter kits. In fact I have ordered more yeast packs than kits (I work part time at my LHBS and do the ordering), it is just that BrewCraft is the exclusive licensee of Rogue so you can only get it from LHBSs that buy from BrewCraft. Brewcraft has never communicated to us that we could only sell the yeast with the kits, in fact you order them seperatly.

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Reason: Grammer

Old 08-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #30
DrinksWellWithOthers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I was inquiring about the Pacman yeast last month at my LHBS. The owner made a bunch of calls for me and told me that he wouldn't be able to order it until the middle of September. I'm not sure if that's when it will be made available or just the earliest orders can be taken either through his supplier or through Brewcraft. I'll be sure to ask him again in a few weeks.

Quick Reply