Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pacman Yeast Starter Video

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 05:23 AM   #1
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Pacman Yeast Starter Video

This is a Pacman yeast starter I harvested from a bottle of Rogues Brutal Bitter. I poured 3/4 of the bottle into a glass and drank it of course. I then made a starter of 16oz of water and 1/2 cup of DME and boiled. I then cooled the wort and sanitized the neck and mouth of the bottle and poured the rest of the Brutal Bitter into the starter and started spinning it. Super easy to do.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PvUnRNT3U0c"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PvUnRNT3U0c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by wedge421; 04-25-2008 at 05:26 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 05:28 AM   #2
nugget
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

movie is not loading for me, could you provide a link for me to youtube of it?

Old 04-25-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 605 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I think this is what he meant:

Old 04-25-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
nugget
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Works much better now...

Old 04-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
Atl300zx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

let us know if it is a success

When does this yeast usually go on sale and who carries it? i thought it was sold sometime in 2007.

Bottles: Triple Berry Apple Cider, Cote Apple Cider, Wild Blackberry Apple Cider, Dim Wit II, Mighty Porter
Kegs: 4Cs IPA - The Diamond Standard, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Clone.
On Deck: The "Three Stouts", Wild Blackberry Mead, Irish Red

Jaded Spirits DIY Stirplate
Blog @ JadedSpirits.com
Blog @ HBT

Old 04-26-2008, 04:47 AM   #6
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

IIRC Wyest is releasing this again shortly, I think I saw an ad in BYO this month.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 04-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dean
IIRC Wyest is releasing this again shortly, I think I saw an ad in BYO this month.
Well, a few weeks back when someone posted that they thought it was already available, I went to my LHBS, and he did some calling to his distributor...He was told that the pacman WOULD NOT be sold individually that you could now only get it in the Brewcraft Dead Guy Clone kit....

So I really don't know...

Needless to say thanks to wedge's video I have a erlynmeyer flask spinning with some yeast from the bottle of Shakespear's Stout (which had a nice yeasty layer in the bottom of it, AND it was one of the bests stout's I've ever tasted.)

I'm going to boost it later with some more from another bottle...Should I boost it AND add another 2 cups of wort...Or boost what I got with more yeast then build up the volume tomorrow?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-29-2008, 05:00 AM   #8
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I now have the starter up to 1000ml and the yeast if flocculating great. I probably have close to 2 starters worth of yeast in this batch. And yes from what I understand you can only get the yeast in the Dead Guy Clone kit. So i figured instead of spending $40 on the kit I would just $4 on the beer and clone it. I just ordered a 2000ml flask so im gonna try to increase it in that and then harvest the yeast off into freezable containers as shown in Yuris vids.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I cultured some of this from a bottle of Shakespeare Stout - man does that yeast grow up quick! I used it in my DFH 60 min clone, it went from 1.060 to 1.008. I used a 1.040 starter wort and it worked great.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com
D5000 Likes This 
Old 04-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default Wokka Wokka Wokka!!!

Well I was a little worried about mine, it didn't appear to take off for 48 hours (The temp in my apartment took a nosedive to the low 50's at night the first 2 nights.) Yesterday morning I shut the windows as I was leaving for work and the place got back up into the 60's.

Last night I shut down the stirplate to let it flocculate out, and this morning I was rewarded with a nice quarter inch layer of yeasties at the bottom of my flask.

This was from the sludge from 2 bottles of Shakespeare stout, & 2 cups of water boiled with 1/2 cup DME....

I have 2 more bombers of stout, so the question is/are;

Should just feed the existing yeasties more wort (another 2 cups?)

Should I feed with more wort AND add MORE Yeast Sludge from the other bottles?

Should I just add more yeast sludge and not feed it more wort? (This one doesn't make sense to me.)

Or should I make a second harvest with the other 2 bottles of Stout?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply