The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Overlaying dank dry-hop on a citrus hop-bomb - thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Default Overlaying dank dry-hop on a citrus hop-bomb - thoughts?

i made 6 gallons of an amber IPA and in the last 10 mins of the boil (including a 170*F hop-stand) put in 4 oz of cascade and 4 oz of amarillo. yeah, i went kinda heavy... i had beers like heady topper and pliny on my mind

not surprisingly the aroma coming out of the carboy is that of a total citrus bomb. smells like grapefruit juice thanks. i made an amarillo SMaSH with these hops and it turned out in the same vein.

it's time to throw in the dry-hops tonight. generally i like to keep the dry-hops in the same vein as the late-addition hops, but here i'm thinking of bringing the dank: dry-hopping with simcoe and columbus, with maybe just a touch of amarillo - like 1.75 simcoe, 1.75 columbus, and 0.5 amarillo. i'd use chinook if i could, but i don't have any on hand.

has anyone tried a dank dry-hop on top of a citrusy/fruity beer?

Drinking: a belgian pale ale, a belgian imperial stout, an Epic 09.09.09 clone, a brett'ed saison
Carbing: a hop-bursted APA, a citra farmhouse
Fermenting: an abbey ale (to be soured)
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured fruit saison, my "wild oats" brett/sour, a saison with a brett mix added at bottling.
Up next: TBD, probably not brewing again until july.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
EyePeeA
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

"has anyone tried a dank dry-hop on top of citrusy"

...It's called Pliny the Elder.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyePeeA View Post
"has anyone tried a dank dry-hop on top of citrusy"

...It's called Pliny the Elder.
i see your point, but pliny has a bunch of simcoe in the boil so there is some dank to start with. what i'm wondering about is adding a dank dry-hop to a beer that is otherwise dankless.

i'm quite curious about those folk's experience, but i'm pretty certain that i'm going to try this out regardless.

Drinking: a belgian pale ale, a belgian imperial stout, an Epic 09.09.09 clone, a brett'ed saison
Carbing: a hop-bursted APA, a citra farmhouse
Fermenting: an abbey ale (to be soured)
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured fruit saison, my "wild oats" brett/sour, a saison with a brett mix added at bottling.
Up next: TBD, probably not brewing again until july.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Hi sweetcell,

I've said this in a few other threads... That the dryhop tends to dominate the focus of the beer. So if you start with a citrusy base and dryhop with Apollo/Summit/Chinook/Columbus at the rate of 1 oz. dryhops per gallon of beer, then you should have a strong sense of dank in the final beer. It won't be as dank as a beer that was layered with dank hops at all stages, but it will still give off decent amounts of dank.

Quick Reply