Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > "Orval" Clone/ Belgian recipe help......

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
mikeyc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default "Orval" Clone/ Belgian recipe help......

So I was in the LHBS this morning and I picked up the following ingredients to make an Orval clone. It came out of the Clone Brews Book.

8.5lbs Belgian 2row
6oz Cara vienne
.5lbs Crystal 20
1lb Light Candi Sugar
1oz Bitter Orange Peel
1oz Sazz hops
1oz Hallertau
.5oz Styrian Goldings
wyeast trappist

I was in a hurry and forgot to write down the mash schedule, hop schedule, boil times, you know all the important stuff. I would just do a normal brew, but I want to make sure that it comes out good. So my question any more experienced all grain brewers care to take a stab at that and recomend a good method?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
mikeyc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

another question, the guy at the store recomended the wyeast trapist. I just noticed it is a high gravity yeast. What effect will this have on the beer, being that it is not a high gravity brew?

Old 01-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I can dig a little deeper when I get home later, but I recall reading (and tasting) that Orval is conditioned with Brettanomyces - I am not sure how close you can get to the real thing without throwing some Brett in there during conditioning. That said, I haven't used Brett personally, so some more experienced wild brewers will be able to give you better feedback on its use and whether or not its a requirement for an Orval clone.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 01-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
Shawn Hargreaves
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've never tried to brew an Orval clone (although it's on my list of somedays) but just from tasting it, there's definitely some funky brett aroma. I'm sure you could make a good beer with just regular yeast, but it won't be Orval.

This blog is one of the best sources I've found about brewing with brett: The Mad Fermentationist

Old 01-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Mash the grain at 151°F or so for 60 minutes. Unlike other Belgian recipes, mash this higher since Brettanomyces will be added in secondary.

Depending on the aa% of the hops, which you don't have listed, I would bitter with the Hallertauer, Add the Styrians with about 15 minutes to go in the boil and dryhop with the Saaz.

Drop the orange peel - this isn't in an Orval.

The Wyeast 3787 is ok, but for an authentic Orval clone you want to use WLP510 Bastogne Yeast. It is a platinum strain, but is available right now through February.

Once fermentation is complete, 10-14 days, rack to secondary on top of either WLP650 or Wyeast5112 Brett. Brux. Hold in secondary for 6-9 months. Bottle in heavy glass to ~4 volumes of CO2.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
mikeyc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks alot. The Saaz is 5.8, the Hallertau is 3.9, and the Styrian Goldings is 1.9. The recipe called for the Styrian as the bittering, but I substituted the Saaz because the Styrians that they had were only 1.9 aa. Ill see what this comes out as. It might not be an Orval clone after all, but nevertheless it will be beer and Im sure it will be good. Thanks for the info!!!!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Yeah, you can definitely use Saaz to bitter as well. I just really like the spicy flavor they give off.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Jamil has a clone recipe.
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/mem...il06-16-08.mp3

Old 01-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
Mash the grain at 151°F or so for 60 minutes. Unlike other Belgian recipes, mash this higher since Brettanomyces will be added in secondary.

Depending on the aa% of the hops, which you don't have listed, I would bitter with the Hallertauer, Add the Styrians with about 15 minutes to go in the boil and dryhop with the Saaz.

Drop the orange peel - this isn't in an Orval.

The Wyeast 3787 is ok, but for an authentic Orval clone you want to use WLP510 Bastogne Yeast. It is a platinum strain, but is available right now through February.

Once fermentation is complete, 10-14 days, rack to secondary on top of either WLP650 or Wyeast5112 Brett. Brux. Hold in secondary for 6-9 months. Bottle in heavy glass to ~4 volumes of CO2.

To save you a few dollars just add the dregs from 2-3 bottles of Orval, then let it sit 6-9 months like my http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/drunk-owl-mango-55227/

Old 01-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #10
Plan9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
To save you a few dollars just add the dregs from 2-3 bottles of Orval, then let it sit 6-9 months like my http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/drunk-owl-mango-55227/
Save money!?! Have you priced Orval lately?

Central Florida Home Brewers

http://twitter.com/PlanNine

Quick Reply