New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Orkney Dark Island help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
Onkel_Udo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Orkney Dark Island help

One of my favorite session beers of my travelling years was a little known beer available (at the time) mostly in far northern Scotland pubs called just "Orkney" on the tap handles. I figured out is was Dark Island from vague memories of the logo and the fact that there is NO WAY I downed 6 British pints of Skullsplitter in and evening and still walked home to the Hostel. Yes, this was 17 years ago.

So I have read the Beer Advocate reviews of the bottled version and the breakdown is much like this:

Dark brown, almost black with a little ruby if the light is right (check, agrees with my memories)

Little to not head, similar body to Scottish 70/ and low carbonation (check)

I little bit of hop bitterness at the front but overall a malty flavor with fig and/or raisin and chocolate, slighty roasted notes.

Everyone is calling it a Scottish ale but is totally unrelated to any other of the style I have had.

So I want to make a similar beer and ended up with (10 gallon batch):

13# America 2-row
2 # Mild Malt
2 # Special B
.5# De-bittered black
.5# Chocolate

Hop schedule is still up in the air but thinking about 1 OZ Magnum for 60 minutes and 1 OZ Fuggles at 10 minutes.

Mash for 60 minutes at 155. Single batch sparge to 11.5 gallons.

S-04 at 63 F for two weeks then straight to the keg.

How close does this sound?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
bierhaus15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Great beer. Here is one of the closest recipes I've found for it. As for the crystal malt, go with a medium-dark (55-75L) and the plain sugar can really be dropped, subbed for more base malt, unless you want to use a British invert syrup... Lyles or homemade stuff.

Yeast is believed to be Nottingham or Wlp001/1056.

Dark Island 5 gallon (UK gallons) batch OG 1045 ABV 4.6%

GOLDEN PROMISE PALE MALT 3570 gms
CRYSTAL MALT 120 gms
CHOCOLATE MALT 120 gms
TORRIFIED WHEAT 120 gms
CANE SUGAR 240 gms

TARGET 17 gms 90 minutes
CHALLENGER 20 gms last 15 minutes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply