Orfy's Mild--Extract Version

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krahm

Reaction score
Hi, folks. I really want to make this beer, but I'd have to use extract instead of Maris Otter. The problem is that Beersmith is telling me it's going to be MUCH lighter than what it's supposed to be. Part of the issue may be to do with the SRM of the extract and the chocolate malt that's available to me. I believe Munton's is 4.2, or so, whereas Orfy is listing 8.0 for "light extract" on the recipe. Also, the darkest chocolate malt that seems to be available from my usual sources is around 450. Orfy insists that this should be a dark beer, not an amber colored one, so I'm inclined to see this as a real problem. Any thoughts? Has anyone made this with extract? I've looked over the original thread (or about 20 of the 30 pages of responses, anyway), and no one seems to be addressing this issue. Thx!

You can use Briess Light DME which is 6 I think. Or you can use 3-4lbs of light, and 1lb of amber Muntons (I think the amber is 22).

For the chocolate I would just use the darkest you can find, and maybe add a half oz, or .75oz.

Run that through beersmith and see what you get. I'm at work or I'd run it for you.

Hi, folks. I really want to make this beer, but I'd have to use extract instead of Maris Otter. The problem is that Beersmith is telling me it's going to be MUCH lighter than what it's supposed to be. Part of the issue may be to do with the SRM of the extract and the chocolate malt that's available to me. I believe Munton's is 4.2, or so, whereas Orfy is listing 8.0 for "light extract" on the recipe. Also, the darkest chocolate malt that seems to be available from my usual sources is around 450. Orfy insists that this should be a dark beer, not an amber colored one, so I'm inclined to see this as a real problem. Any thoughts? Has anyone made this with extract? I've looked over the original thread (or about 20 of the 30 pages of responses, anyway), and no one seems to be addressing this issue. Thx!

I wouldn't worry too much about the SRM. Difference between 450 and 508 would be negligible.

The extract version will not be the same beer as the AG variety. The AG version has a "nutty" flavor from using MO base malt. You could use a bit of biscuit, but you'll have to convert this. (it's not that hard)

Additionally, when this recipe was constructed, Notty was a cheap, quality yeast. With the price increase of Notty, I'd sub 04. I've been brewing this with 1318 (>100 gallon worth). I prefer the 1318 best, but I'd use 04 over Notty.

It's a fantastic beer. :mug:

Okay, I was thinking about adding in some amber, too. And the biscuit is a nice suggestion for flavor. I guess I could try doing this as a partial mash....

I was concerned because Beersmith was giving me a color of 17 with extract, but the recipe was saying it would be something more like a 19 or 20. That seemed like a big jump. That's all.

Oh, and I've got some 1318 in the fridge!

Back