*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Orange Peel and Coriander shelf life

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
hughes_brews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Orange Peel and Coriander shelf life

I am brewing a Belgian Wit this weekend and have plenty of orange peel and coriander left over from last year. Both came in zip-lock pouches and I have kept them in the fridge since last year. Should these still be good, or should I pick up some fresh stuff when I go to the LHBS on Friday? I didn't see any "Best if used by" label on the packages.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 92

With spices the fresher the better, especially for ground spices. I would personally go with freshly grated orange zest, and fresh cracked corriander if you can. Make sure you have high quality coriander as well, it should smell citrusy or fruity (not vegetal), Indian stores are a great place to get it. A bit of chamomile is a nice addition as well.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If the Coriander is still whole, it should be fine. If you cook, you often hear two years storage for whole spices, and that doesn't necessarily assume you're keeping them in your fridge. Once you crack or grind though, all bets are off.

It's also possible that the new stuff you be would be no different than what you have (it's harvested only once a year).

Quick Reply